Chapter Two

Two Months Later

Chloe watched in undisguised anger as her son's fingers tightened around the documents in his hands.
One year! It had only been a year since her husband died, leaving their only son his entire fortune. In one year, Frederick had managed to squander everything!

Chloe should have known. She should have guessed when her son insisted on leaving Birmingham to move to Plymouth, that his plans had been to live an extravagant lifestyle, spending over and beyond the family's fortune. When Chloe finally got the news that they were worth next to nothing, it had been too late to do anything about it. 

“Mother, surely this information must be incorrect.” Frederick said from behind his desk. It was a low whisper but Chloe heard him loud and clear.

“Our accounts are practically empty,” Those words alone filled Chloe's mouth with a bitter taste as she uttered them. “We are but a few pounds from being peasants and you sit there, attempting to deny that your frivolous living has finally ruined us?!” She yelled, slamming her fist on the table and rising to her feet. “Your father's entire life's work, our family's entire fortune!” Her voice rose with every word she uttered. “Gone! Wasted on nothing of worth or substance!” She began pacing the study, more in an attempt to keep herself from collapsing in shock and sheer horror.

“Mother, I swear...”

“Spare me the lies!” She turned angry eyes to him. “If I didn't get the notice from the account details myself, I wouldn't have dreamt in a million years that your father's fortune could even run out!”

Chloe's heart pounded wildly in her chest.

“I will write to grandfather...”

“You don't think I have thought that through?! Your grandfather would never hand you his fortune knowing what you did to his son's estate.”

“Surely, he wouldn't sit by while we go bankrupt!” Frederick whined. “Mother, let me go on a trip to London. I'm certain I can convince Grandfather to loan us some money.”

Chloe would have liked to stand there and argue with her son, to tell him of the fact that his grandfather, Lord Wellington, most likely wouldn't offer any help. It was no hidden fact that the old Judge didn't care too much for the wife his son married or the child she bore. 

It was simply a shame to know that Frederick could run an entire textile factory to the ground. Not only that but Frederick had somehow managed to empty their accounts. Chloe knew they were but a few pounds away from declaring bankruptcy.

But Chloe couldn't go back to being a middle class woman! She couldn't even bear the thought of poverty! She couldn't imagine having to give up the luxury she had become so attached to.

Something in Chloe blamed herself for everything. She shouldn't have trusted Frederick with the family's fortune, she should have insisted on managing their accounts. But the more she mused on it, the more convinced she was that there was nothing she could have done to salvage the situation. Edward had willed his entire estate to their son, Frederick. Chloe was convinced she couldn't have been able to convince Frederick to keep the property in her care.

“Fine.” She stopped pacing and placed both her hands on the desk before her. “You will go to London.” Frederick nodded to her words. “I do not care if you have to grovel before the old demon, you must convince your grandfather to give you the money that is needed to revive your father's company!”

~ ~

The blade of the axe hit it's target, splitting the wood in the middle.

Bailey reached into his pocket to retrieve his handkerchief before wiping his face clean of sweat.