Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Once we have manoeuvred our way out of the crowds surrounding the house, we make our way to the car. The whole time nothing is said, but I feel his eyes on me, constantly looking down and  checking. Yes, that’s what it feels like – as though he’s making sure I’m still here, that I’m not going to run off.

‘Um, what do you think you’re doing?’ Someone calls towards us. Clay spins around to find the source, and from the look on his face, he probably knows who it was. I turn around too and see Gia standing not too far away from us, out on the sidewalk with her boyfriend.

‘What?’ Clay asks, stepping a little closer to her. She untangles herself from Andrew and walks over to us.

‘Where are you going?’ She asks him, not acknowledging me at all.

‘I don’t have to tell you where I’m going, G.’

‘Uh, yes, you do, Clayton.’ She cries, her eyes wide and staring at him. I think she may have had a fair amount of the punch. Andrew comes up behind her and places his hands on her shoulders.

‘What?’ Clay scoffs, his expression one of utter surprise.

‘You have to stay here, it’s our fucking party.’ Gia says, frowning, and pointing at our surroundings.

‘Um, no it’s not.’ Clay says, shaking his head and stepping back towards me again.

‘You will fucking stay here Clayton, or I will give your room key to the next couple I see who’d like to have sex.’ She says it with a surprising amount of certainty, barely any slurring. But it takes it out of her, and she stumbles back a little into Andrew. ‘I swear, I will.’ She says.

Clay looks really confused as to why she is so determined that he should stay. It looks like they have a pretty weird relationship.

‘I think I’m gonna go.’ I say after a few minutes watching them just stare at each other. I think that he really doesn’t want someone going into his room, as it looks like Gia’s threat is swaying him towards staying. Which I totally understand. Who would want that?

He turns back to me, however, when I speak up. ‘Don’t go, Ada.’ He says, frowning.

‘No, I should get back.’ I start to step away. I think he should probably stay as well, even if that is just to keep an eye on Gia.

‘I’m sorry about this.’ He says, moving closer to me, whilst Gia and Andrew just stand and watch us. ‘Um, can we rein-check for tomorrow or something?’ He asks, ‘I would really like to see you again.’ He smiles, and it’s one I can’t resist.

I nod, ‘sure.’ I answer, smiling too.

‘I should probably stay and keep an eye on the place, and Gia.’ He frowns again.

‘I agree.’

‘How about I take you out to coffee tomorrow?’ He asks.

I think about it a second, but really I already know my answer. ‘Yeah, sure, that’d be great.’ I say, taking another step back as if to leave.

He reaches for my arm and pulls me back slightly. ‘You can stay, and keep me company or something. I feel bad, like I’m making you leave.’

I laugh, ‘you’re not making me, I should get back, get some rest. It’s fine.’ I’m smiling at him now, and he just responds with one of his own.

‘Well if you’re sure.’ He says, leaning towards me and moving closer to kiss me. I kiss him back lightly, then pull away, aware that we’re being watched. ‘Okay, so I’ll see you tomorrow then?’ He asks.