05. Surrender

The next day was a training day with everyone. Mordo and Genevieve walked up and down the rows of people as the conjured. As Genevieve was walking, she noticed Stephen was having trouble and seemed unfocused.

Genevieve looked towards Mordo, seeing if there was anything she could do. Mordo nodded his head no and they continued. Genevieve only hoped that the sling ring lesson would be easier for him.

"Mastery of the Sling Ring is essential to the Mystic Arts. They allow us to travel throughout the multiverse." Mordo told everyone.

"All you need to do is focus." Genevieve announced to everyone, but looked directly at Stephen for a few moment, "Visualize. See the destination in your mind. Look beyond the world in front of you."

"Imagine every detail. The clearer the picture, the quicker and easier the gateway will come." Mordo finished, and both he and Genevieve stopped beside Stephen.

He was aware of the presence of both of them, hoping he could impress Genevieve. But he had no luck. The Ancient One had appeared and he knew he was going to be singled out.

Mordo saw the Ancient One and told everyone to stop.

The Ancient One made her way toward Stephen, "I would like a moment alone with Mr. Strange."

Stephen looked at the ground and Genevieve rubbed his back slightly before making her way toward Mordo.

"Of course." Mordo told the Ancient One and Genevieve nodded.

Mordo dismissed everyone and left, but Genevieve stayed.

"You know I did say alone Genevieve." The Ancient One taunted. She knew why the girl was there, but she wanted her to admit it.

"With all due respect Ancient One, anything that Stephen goes into, I would like to be there to observe. Keep note on what he could go better."

Both Stephen and the Ancient One smiled at the sentiment. Stephen was happy she wanted to be around him and the Ancient One was getting what she wanted. Not only was she testing Stephen, but she was also testing Genevieve.

"Very well then. You may stay." the Ancient One stated.

Stephen walked towards the Ancient One and simply stated, "My hands."

"It's not about your hands." The Ancient One told him.

"How is it not about my hands?" Stephen tried to be sassy with her.

"Master Hamir." The Ancient One called upon the Man next to her. Genevieve knew Stephen was about to have his ass handed to him.

Master Hamir pulled up his sleeve, showing that he didn't have his left hand. Stephen looked confused and Master Hamir did a simply trick. Genevieve smiled at Stephen's face. He looked lost.

"Thank you Master Hamir." The Ancient One thanked him and he walked off, "You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current and use its power as your own."

"I...I control it by surrendering control. That doesn't make any sense." Stephen wasn't getting it.

"Not everything does. Not everything has to." The Ancient One paused to let Stephen take it all in, "Your intellect has taken you far in life, but it will take you no further. Surrender Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise."

She walked forward, past Genevieve and Stephen, making a portal. It opened up and she walked in.

"Come with me. Both of you." The Ancient One instructed, and they did as told.

Once through the portal, Genevieve noticed they were on Mount Everest. 'This can't be good.' Genevieve thought to herself.

"Wait! Is this?!" Stephen started to freak out.

"Everest." The Ancient One stated like it was no big deal, "Beautiful."

"Yeah, you're right." Stephen shivered, "Beautiful. Freezing, but beautiful."

"At this temperature, a person can last for 30 minutes before suffering permanent loss of function." The Ancient One told Stephen. Genevieve knew where this was headed.

"Great." Stephen said, not really paying attention because he was so cold.

"But you'll likely go into shock within the first two." The Ancient One told him before walking away. Genevieve followed in suit.

"What?" Stephen asked, finally grasping what was happening.

"Surrender, Stephen." Both women walked through the portal as Stephen pleaded, not wanting to be stuck on the mountain.

Genevieve and the Ancient One stood in the middle of the training grounds. Genevieve only hoped that Stephen wouldn't die because after all, she couldn't imagine a life without him.

The two women stood in silence, "You're just gonna leave him there?" Genevieve asked.

"He'll come through." The Ancient One told the girl and said the next part quietly, "Hopefully."

Mordo noticed the two just standing there and joined them. He also noticed that Stephen wasn't there.

"How's our new recruit?" he asked.

"He shall see." The Ancient One stated, not looking at either of the two masters beside her, "Any second now."

"I sure hope so." Genevieve breathed, rocking back and forth on her heels.

Mordo's face started to look distressed and Genevieve took note. When Mordo got nervous, it was never a good sign.

"No. Not again." Mordo's voice had anxiety laced in it. He started to get antsy, "Maybe I should." The Ancient One held him back. Stephen had to do it on his own.

The three stood there, just waiting for him to come back. Out of all of them, fear ran physically through Genevieve's whole body.

Everyone released a calming sigh when they say the portal open with Stephen still alive. Once through the portal, Stephen fell to the ground and Genevieve went to check on him.

He shivered and Genevieve held him close. Stephen enjoyed being held by her because of the loving nature. Everything Genevieve was doing for him was because Stephen had a place in her heart that would always be there no matter how hard she wanted it out.

Without saying a word, Genevieve picked Stephen off the ground and made him put his arm around him shoulder. Together, they made it to Stephen's room. She helped him to his bed.

"Thank you." he stated, love and care evident in his voice.

"I'd do anything to keep you safe." she leaned forward and placed a loving kiss on his forehead, "Get some rest. I can't have you being a cripple on me." she tried to joke.

"Of course not." he smiled at her.

Genevieve kissed him on his cold nose and wiped his hair out of his face. She exited the room, but took one long loving stare at him. Stephen saw this and looking longingly at her.

Once out of his room, Stephen went to go fix himself up. He was starting to feel like a changed man and wanted his outward appearance to be the same.

He turned the light on in the bathroom and began to cut his hair and shave his beard. He hoped that Genevieve would approve of the change.