02. Goodbye Stephen

Later that even, Genevieve sat in her office typing on her computer. The only reason Stephen made her keep record was so that she could publish his achievements. She was the only reason that he was well known and respected.

Sitting in her office was the only place she could have peace and quiet. Her phone would ring occasionally, telling her that she needed to speak to a family or that she needed to speak to a patient. The patient talks were always interesting because she never knew how they would respond to their injuries. Her knowledge in behavior made her a part of the On-call staff in the hospital.

Peacefully typing the report, a frantic knock came at her door. She urgently got up from her chair and opened the door. Standing on the other side was Christine.

"What's wrong?" Genevieve asked with worry evident in her voice.

"Gene, its Stephen." Right as Christine said that, Genevieve frantically grabbed her coat.

"What happened?" she asked, following Christine out to the ER.

"Car accident." Christine stated.

"Oh gosh, oh gosh. It could have been me." Genevieve muttered to herself, but it was loud enough for Christine to hear.

"What do you mean it could of been you?" Christine asked as they rushed through the ER.

"He asked me to some speaking engagement he had. I could have been in that car if I didn't say no." she explained.

"Well it's a good thing you didn't because the injuries are severe." Christine explained, causing Genevieve's anxiety to rise.

She saw a stretcher being brought in with urgency. Reaching the stretcher, she saw a bruised and battered Stephen. One of his eyes were swollen shut and there was blood everywhere. She couldn't believe that only a few hours ago she saw the same man with a smile on his face.

Genevieve helped push Stephen into the operating room. It looked as if he had opened his eyes at looked straight at her. He then looked at his hands, which were wrapped up in gaws.

When they reached the operating room, Genevieve was advised to stay behind. Though she wanted to make sure he was okay, she couldn't see him go through all that pain. No matter what type of attachment she had to him.

*12 Hours Later*

Genevieve sat and watched as Stephen slept, waiting to tell him what happened. Not even she could take the pain that the accident had caused. She worried about him so much and wanted to protect him. The one time he got hurt was when she couldn't be there for him.

Behind her was Christine, who placed a loving hand on her friend's shoulder. She knew what Stephen meant to Genevieve. Even though Genevieve wouldn't admit it, Christine knew she loved him. No one would personally write reports on his achievements just for fun.

When Stephen started to wake up, Genevieve had her head rested on his bed. Christine tapped her a few times and told her he was waking up.

With Genevieve seeing this, she placed her hand on the side of Stephen's face.

"Hey." Genevieve smiled through her tears, "It's gonna be okay."

Stephen continued to breathe heavy as he looked from Genevieve's face to his hands.

There continued to be heavy silence until Stephen began to speak, "Wha-what did they do?"

"They...rushed you in a chopper, but it took a while to find you. Golden hours of nerve damage while you were in the car." Genevieve spoke softly.

"What did they do?!" Stephen asked again with a little more force.

Genevieve looked away to try and hold back her tears, "11 stainless steal pins in the bones. Multiple torn ligaments. Severe nerve damage in both hands. You were on the table for 11 hours. And the worse part is...I couldn't be there for you. I'm sorry."