Twenty-Three.

"Do you really or is it just because you feel like you have to?" Zayn's words were embedded in Lauren's brain. She couldn't help but think of them constantly. It'd be two weeks, but it's all she thought about. It was like a fly buzzing by your head, and each time you swatted it away it seemed to become even more of a pest.

"Lauren.." she was being shaken on her shoulder. She snapped back to reality, blinking rapidly. Dylan was standing beside her. "You're gonna run up your water bill." Dylan reached past her and turned off the sink that she forgot she had on as she filled a cup with water. "Oh.. I didn't realize.." She dumped the water out of the cup, and placed the cup in the dish rack. "When'd you get in?"
"About a minute ago... I wanted to surprise you, but that clearly didn't work. It's.. it's great to see you to.." She nodded her head.

Dylan was gone for a week and a half because he had to settle some business elsewhere.

"Are you okay?" Dylan asked. Lauren nodded her head. "Yeah, totally. Why? Do I not seem okay? I'm fine." She cleared her throat, tapping her fingers that were in desperate need of a manicure against the counter.
"Completely believable.. I was just trying to let you know that I'm going to be out of town for more business stuff, just a heads up on that. I wanted to see you before I left again. This is a two week thing.. I also know that Halloween was a few days ago, but I like to plan in advance..."

Lauren spent Halloween with taking Grace out trick or treating with Zayn. They didn't fight at all, and they had a great time. She never told Dylan any of this, she didn't even answer his call that night. She was doing absolutely nothing wrong, but having a nice time with Zayn felt like she was in a way betraying Dylan. She wanted to spend more time with him. It felt like they were a family again, and not a dysfunctional one.

"My mom is having a Thanksgiving dinner at her house, and I don't know-" he took Lauren's hands in his. "I thought that maybe you would like to join? It's our first Thanksgiving together.. I figured, it'd be a nice time with my mom. She can meet Grace. I know Grace was with her father the first time you met my mom.."

"You're leaving for two weeks?" Lauren raised an eyebrow. Dylan nodded. "It will fly by, trust me. But what do you think of Thanksgiving?"
"I-"
"Like I said, I know it's extremely in advance, but- hey.. I don't know."
"I'll think about it. I need time to think about that."
"Okay, you have a lot of time to think about it." Dylan kissed Lauren's lips.

"Where's Grace?"
"She's down for her nap." Dylan nodded.
"Well, let her know that I'll bring the both of you something nice back from Tampa. I'd better get back to my place and pack. I have to be there early tomorrow."
-
"Am I stupid?" Lauren asked. Dinah turned to look at her best friend. "Of course not. Why would you think such a random thought?" Lauren was looking down at her nails that were being painted a lilac. "Dylan is almost perfect.. That's a fair statement isn't it?"
"Duh," Dinah laughed as she placed her hands under the fan. "I need me a Dylan because the guys I've been seeing obviously suck." Lauren sighed. "It's Zayn isn't it?" Dinah asked.
"Zayn asked me a few weeks back if I really love Dylan or I only do because I feel I have to.  I've been thinking about that so much."
"Well, Lauren- I hate to break it to you, but if you've been thinking about it for weeks then maybe it's the second part. Do you feel like you have to?"
"Of course not.. Dylan's not holding me hostage and telling me to love him. I chose to."
"But is it only because Zayn's with Gigi? You feel like you also have to love someone and look like the poster people for love or he's gonna think that you're still hung up on him while he's doing his own thing?" Lauren didn't say anything. She just focused on the bottle of lilac polish, and kept quiet.

Thanksgiving rolled around a lot quicker than Lauren expected. It was in a few days. She finally stopped thinking about what Zayn said after she talked about it with Dinah. She pushed it to the furthest part of her mind. There was a knock on her door while she was having Grace try on her Thanksgiving dress. She opened it, and Dylan was standing there. "Dylan, hey- What's up?" He walked in, and kissed her lips. "Sorry I didn't call back I was just busy these past couple of days."
"No, I understand. I just wanted to remind you of the Thanksgiving dinner at my moms. See if you were still up to it?" Lauren's eyes widened, and she slapped her palm against her forehead. "You forgot.." Dylan frowned.
"I did. I'm so sorry.."
"No, I understand."
"I mean, your reminders were so frequent in the beginning of the month but then you kinda stopped."
"Yeah, I thought it was getting annoying."
"No.. Not at all. I'm so sorry, Dylan. I would have gone.."
"No you wouldn't have." That took Lauren by surprise. "You're huge on being with your family, why would you skip out on that time to be with me, my mom and a bunch of people you've never met."
"Dylan."
"Lauren. It's cool. Well, I have to head out tomorrow, so can I spend the night with you at least?"
"Yeah, of course."
"Alright. I'll see you later then." Dylan kissed her cheek, and headed for the door.

Lauren could feel the deterioration of her relationship. She could tell that Dylan could feel it too, but he was holding on.