Chapter 31: Unwanted Surprises

Start from the beginning

The boy stared back at the bewildered girl, standing immobile once he made eye contact with her. "Aha!" He triumphantly declared, catching the girl off guard as he confirmingly pointed his index finger at her with a big self-indulgent smile. "You were awoken by the smell of my delicious cooking! You can praise me as you see fit!" Crossing his arms and standing up tall and straight, he victoriously waited to hear the girl's reaction.

"What are you doing?"

Padraig couldn't help but grumble at the response that didn't highlight his deed, but remained composed as he turned to regard her. "I'm giving you food. Isn't it obvious?" He sternly declared, maintaining his haughty manner while the girl could just stare with even more confusion to the scene.

"Why?"

The newcomer seemed irritated by the question, aggravated over what he would admit to himself before even a word could escape his mouth. "Because I had a plate of food I didn't want and decided to give it to someone." He snapped, turning his back to the girl so as to avoid their eyes meeting.

(Y/n) began analysing the logistics of his answer before she was left in further puzzlement. "But this study room is quite far away from the kitchen. Even if you thought of me, you'd definitely find someone else along the way to give the food to." She loudly thought to herself, intending most of her break down to be evaluated by her. The female's analytical explanation caused the boy to stiffen as his mind began panicking and hoping for her to dismiss the rest of her theory. But before he could even finish his prayer, the girl curiously turned her attention back to the boy with a pondering question. "Were you voluntarily looking for me?"

"Just eat the damn food!" He bit back, glaring at the girl to set the subject aside to comply with his wishes. (Y/n) rolled her eyes at his finicky mannerisms before proceeding to take the cutlery that leaned onto the plate.

She looked at the vibrant, cooked vegetables and sizzling fish fillet decorated in different spices with sharp and subtle aromas. The girl was surprised to witness the amount of effort that was put into the dish and proceeded to separate a piece away to place it in her mouth. Upon tasting the pristinely prepared food, the girl came to a downhearted realisation as she tried to taste the delicious consumables. The, what would have been a meal fit for a restaurant, didn't leave a trace of substance on her taste buds. Even after trying each separate ingredient piled on the plate, she was left simply chewing at a tasteless texture. Her senses seemed dulled out and disinterested in indulging the girl in flavours that could stimulate her happiness, while her hunger no longer seemed to be a motivating factor for her to eat. She wished she could associate the lack of substance with simply inadequate cooking but she was too aware the problem was with her.

Padraig noticed the downfallen expression on the girl's mellow features and immediately began experiencing a moment of panic in his mind. His paranoias forced to wonder if he had inaccurately prepared the goods. The male's mind became catatonic, his heart pounding at the prospect of decreasing the girl's fondness towards him and leaving a bad impression on her. "What? Don't you like it?" He exclaimed in a rush, approaching the girl to assess how much damage had been done.

Instead, (Y/n) slowly shook her head to deprecate the boy's misunderstanding. "That's not the problem. I'm sure the food tastes good but...I just can't taste it that well..." She sadly declared, losing her appetite for the cooking she was afore enthused about.

The worker wished that her sense of taste was the only thing affected but couldn't deny the dullness that consisted all around her. Every colour that the world presented to her was muted and monotonous through her tired eyes and all her feelings and mind seemed numb and had to be forced out to give a raw emotion. With such a jejune outlook, she felt incapable to experience life in the same way again. Looking towards her company's crestfallen visage, she felt a strike of guilt at her inability to give a proper opinion.