“Very well, Beth, you may go.” Miss Morgan dismissed Beth. “I really should punish her,” Miss Morgan turned to Miss Patterson. “But somehow I just don’t have the heart too. She got such a clean conscience. All she is trying to do is be fair to everyone. Besides, punishing Beth won’t make finding Oceana any easier.”

“Miss Grey mentioned you went over to Newgate and they said it was closed down and all the prisoners had been relocated, did you find out where?”

“No, I figured if Newgate was closed and the prisoners were gone, then she couldn’t have gone there, the only reason she ever went to Newgate was to see the Chandler fellow.”

“Ah, but evidently, Chandler has been relocated as well, so maybe she found out where he is and went to him.”

“I will remind you, Miss Patterson, that Oceana has not been in communication with Chandler for some time and she wouldn’t know any more than you about where he was located. It’s been over two months since she’s been at the prison and so obviously she doesn’t know about it being closed down.”

“Still, I’m determined to go find out more information concerning the prison and where the prisoners have been located. Believe me, Miss Morgan, if we find Chandler, we will be able to find Oceana.

“Do as you wish, Miss Patterson, I’m going over to the police again.”

“Oh the police, what good are they?” Miss Patterson scorned. “What we need to do is hire a private detective, it’s a pity Sherlock Holms is a fictional character.”

***

“Oceana, Oceana wake up, we have arrived.” Callum gently shook Oceana. The little girl stirred and opened one eye.

“Where am I?”

“Ye are aboard th' train, but we’ve arrived at th' station an' it’s time to gie off. I’ll feed ye breakfest an' 'en we have quite a hike ahead of us.”

Oceana yawned and stretched. The two of them stepped off the train and Callum led her to a tavern located by the station where they had a simple breakfast.

“Come along Oceana,” Callum said, putting his coat on. “Time to go, we want to gie there *afair dark.”

“Where are we going?” Oceana asked.

“Yoo’ll see, yoo’ll see.”

Taking her by the hand they walked out of the tavern, out of the town and towards the mountains. Oceana caught her breath when she saw them. “So, this is what Scotland looks like, why haven’t we ever come here before?”

“Long story lassie, long story.”

“Well, you did say it was a long walk!”

Callum shook his head. “Sorry lassie, Chandler is th' one who tells th' stories, I’m afraid I’m not much of a story teller.”

“But Callum!” Oceana pouted her lips.

“No, Oceana, no, it’s a story I dinnae want to remember, much less *gab abit.”

“Why is it that you never want to talk about your past?”

“That is *nane of yer business, Oceana.”

“Come on, Callum, stop being such a mystery.”

“I said I’m not gonnae gab abit it an' I’m not."

“Humph, Scottish obstinacy!”

“Och, now don’t we sound like a wee Chandler.”

“That reminds me, Callum, what of Chandler, we can’t just leave him in the prison all on his lonesome.”