I didn't want to stay. In my own way, I felt responsible for it. As if Jenny would be alive if I hadn't decided to be part of Robinson family. As though I had the power to wither lives away. I got out. Got away. Found this house. Found my safe haven. I evaded the Social Services until I was eighteen. I became strong. Loneliness became my stalwart companion. Me away from people. People away from me. That's the way I wanted it. That's the way I liked it.

Now it all had to end.

My hands tapped the floor in vain. It was reflexive, it was what I did first before leaving the house, grab my wooden protector, my best buddy. I realized once more that it, too, was gone. I felt guilty that what disturbed me most was not the disappearance of Alessandro but my cane.

I walked slowly towards the door.

Achoo. It was too dry and dusty in here. I pinched my nose, trying to stop another sneeze. Achoo. It was not possible. A series of sneezes stopped me in midway. My nose was rebelling against something I was not aware of. I stopped breathing and ran outside. I inhaled the deep breath that I had deprived myself.

I didn't stop running though my heart beat like crazy in my ribcage. What if I fell? What if I hurt myself?

I didn't even know what I was running away from. I stopped. Scared, lost, I sat down. I remembered all those times I fought against my vulnerability, my blindness, all those times I'd taught myself to be strong... Life was mocking me. Look at me now. I had no idea where I was.

I felt him even before I heard him. It was his smell, the musky masculine smell infused with the dangerous aroma of something forbidden, my blood.

"Where's Alessandro? And, what the hell are you doing here in the middle of the night, alone?" he growled.

"Samuel?" I said.

"Who else, did you think it was Marcelo?"

"Who?"

"Your lover. Who else?"

I was having a hard time keeping track of this conversation. "I don't have a lover," I said. "What are you doing here?"

I barely remembered that he thought I had a lover named Marcelo. When I thought I was dreaming, and he was taking liberties with my body--my body responding to him like a blooming flower--I had named him Marcelo. My dream man. He'd taken it to mean I had a lover named Marcelo.

"I'm not sure. Are you okay?" he asked. For the first time, like ever, I sensed the worry in his tone. Not his usual condescension, denial, insults. No, it was none of that. There was a real deep concern in his question. That freaked me out. Did he know something I didn't?

"No. I'm not. Alessandro is gone. Where? I don't know. My cane is gone. And, I'm scared of the dust monster."

There was silence. I was not surprised. I would laugh if I was not so scared. Take that Samuel. You asked, and you got your answer. Let's see how you deal with a bit of honesty here.

"What do you mean Alessandro's gone?" he barked. "He would not leave you. He had his instructions."

What was he babbling about? "He said he wanted more blood."

"No. He was there to protect you. Damn it, Di! What happened to him? Start from the beginning."

Di? Why did hearing that nickname wash over me like a soothing massage? Then his words registered. I saw red.

Protect me? From whom? Apparently, Samuel knew more than I did. That made me angry. Simply furious. This vampire excelled in ruining my life. I thought I was done with this when he'd let me go when he'd changed our relationship into something less personal. Blood in return for money. It was simple. It was supposed to be simple. Had he now involved me in something dangerous?

"Is this your doing? Am I in danger because of you?" I couldn't keep my voice steady.

"This is not my doing," he said calmly. "C'mon. Let's go back to the mansion."

"No." I was not doing this again.

"Di, it's not a request."

Oh, he was born to drive me mad. Where was that cane when I needed it?

That is when everything changed around me. The air got heavy, so heavy that I couldn't breathe. Inhaling became really difficult. My heart squeezed in my chest. It was as if  tons of weight settled on my body, forcing me down. Just when I was about to kneel in defeat, Samuel held me steady.

Did he also feel it? The darkness lurking around us?

Achoo. Damn, was I getting allergic to something?

I heard Samuel growl. The sounds coming from him were enough to scare anybody off. He was one vicious monster himself. One who fed on blood.

I would be fine with him here.

"What the hell?" Samuel said.

And, that's when I knew fear. 

As always, thanks for reading. Tomorrow, there will be another chapter. What do you think is going on?

By the way, do not forget to send me your emails. I'm collecting a database of emails from my readers for  many giveaways, bonus chapters (seen nowhere), distribution of author signed paperbacks. And, I will not share any of that with my publisher or anybody else:) This is all for my Wattpadian friends. 

Alena