Chapter 18

A/N: Hi beautifuls, it's been a while I know but i'm back for Emison and all of you, and i'm determined to finish this book. I hope you all aren't too upset with me 😢 Enjoy!
___________

Emily felt a huge weight on her shoulders as Diaz's question rung in her ears. Do you know something that I don't? She didn't think she'd be faced with such a responsibility like this one.

Diaz stared at her, awaiting her answer and by now he obviously knew something was up. The longer the brunette took to answer, the deeper his heart sank, expecting the worse.

The brown eyed woman averted her eyes quickly and looked down at her hands. "Look, maybe you should just talk to Jenny", She said quietly.

The other officer huffed a laugh before furrowing his eyebrows worriedly. "If it were bad, I mean really bad...Emily...you'd tell me if there was something sketchy going on right? If you were my friend you would do that, right?"

"Because I'm both of you guys' friend, I'm staying out of it. Just talk to her", Emily urged knowing that if she got involved, she'd be dealing with more drama that wasn't her own. And her own was already enough.

"What if she doesn't want to talk?" The Hispanic man questioned diffidently.

Emily groaned internally, secretly telling herself to stay the hell out of this but she just couldn't resist. "I'll try and convince her to let you in", she vowed with a small smile. "We're having brunch this Sunday."

Diaz laughed at that. "Brunch is still a thing?"

She laughed along nervously. "Yes believe it or not. But I can assure you that you'll know what's going on by Sunday night the latest."

"Emily", A familiar voice suddenly called out.

She turned to where the voice came from and saw her former boss standing tall with determination in his eyes. Emily stood to her feet to greet him. "Chief Reynolds."

"I assume this is you coming to retrieve your gun and badge?"

"You've assumed correctly", Emily said.

"Follow me", He guided her into his office. Once they got past the extremely uncomfortable silence, Emily was given her necessities.

"Listen", The Chief began, repentance in his voice. "I would truly like to apologize for my comments and my actions. I hope we can get back on to a healthy, professional relationship."

Emily nodded appreciatively, willing to go through with their professional relationship. However their personal relationship would still need some work. "I hope so too", She said truthfully. "So what's first?"

He fixed his tie as he sighed. "This is possibly the biggest investigation we've had to deal with in 20 years. Which means it'll be the most dangerous. This won't be an easy mission."

"Trust me, I've been on some pretty dangerous missions myself. But if you're about to say what I think you'll say, I'll just stop you. I'm a grown woman who made a decision, my own decision to join the police force. I knew what I was getting myself into. And I knew that there'd be a possibility that I'd get hurt or even worse. So, I'm ready. If it means stopping this scumbag, then I'm all in, no backing down."

"I knew there was a reason I regretted you resigning. Okay, see this?" He asked pointing to his computer screen.

Emile leaned in win squinted eyes. "Uh, it looks like a map maybe? Are those red dots the cities he's running these things in?" She asked in disbelief as nearly half the map was covered.