Chapter 9

A/N: Here's an emotional, rollercoaster of a chapter. Oh and it's very long so beware. Don't forget to vote 🙂
•••••

Thanksgiving morning

Emily, Alison and the gang were currently in the supermarket shopping for the dinner. Each couple had a cart while Hanna held a basket, mostly filled with alcohol and condiments.

Alison sighed but was still slightly admired as she said, "Hanna will you at least pick up some plates and cups."

"I could", Hanna drawled our before smiling. "And I will." Alison sent her a pointed look before strolling off with Emily who had the twins sat in the cart.

Hanna roamed around before finally stumbling upon the isle with plates and cups. She looked up and sighed. "Of course it's on the top shelf", she whispered.

She quickly looked around making sure no one would see her fail miserably if it came to it as she climbed up onto the second shelf. Hanna reached for the stack of plates but still couldn't grasp it.

After a while, she gave up and as she tried to step down, she slipped on a pack of napkins and caused everything on that shelf and below it to topple over, falling to the floor in the process.

"Need help?" Toby asked with a laugh.

Hanna looked up at the man before quickly shooting up to her feet. "Hey, you try reaching that."

Toby shrugged before reaching his arm up and standing just a little on his tippy toes and pulling down the stack of plates and cups. "I tried. I succeeded."

"Ugh, give me that", Hanna said snatching it.

Toby watched her in amusement  before folding his arms and asking, "So what's going on with you?"

Hanna raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Just curious to see how you're doing."

"If this is about Caleb-"

"It's not", Toby clarified. "I genuinely would like to know how you are."

"Oh", Hanna said with furrowed eyebrows as they began walking to find everyone else. "I'm great. Yeah, things are...great."

"Really?"

"No. Everything in my life is turning to shit", Hanna sighed out with slumped shoulders. "I lost my job, Caleb broke up with me. Hell, my mom still thinks we're together. How will I tell her that the one good thing in my life doesn't even want to be in my life."

Toby shook his head. "That's not true Hanna. Caleb's stubborn, we all know that. Whatever it is, im sure when he sees you at this dinner, he'll get over it."

"Or hurl a bunch of insults at me for no reason", The blonde muttered.

Toby looked at her sadly before whispering, "What happened to you guys?"

Hanna opened and closed her mouth with hesitance before saying, "I prefer not to talk about it."

"You're going to have to talk about it with someone. You can't keep it all built up inside", Toby said as he spotted the girl's waving them over to the cashier line.

"Hey I see you got the plates and cups", Emily said in relief as she placed them on the counter.

"Yes, all by myself", Hanna replied and Toby rolled his eyes but laughed nonetheless.

"Can someone grab TJ", Spencer whined as the little brown haired boy jumped around without a care in the world. Toby quickly ran after his son as the girls grabbed the bags.