Thirteen | Ruby's essay

Zacznij od początku

While the rest of the Avonlea children were yawning their way through the last few hours of school, Jerry Baynard was hard at work trying to finish up his afternoon chores before school got out. Once he'd completed his work in the hayloft, he fixed himself up. He brushed stray hay off, and straightened his cap and shirt. Then he headed deliberately out of the barn — and almost smacked right into Mathew who was leading Belle inside.

"Oh, sorry, Mr. Cuthbert," said Jerry quickly moving out of the way.

"That's alright," said Mathew in his kind and quiet way. He brought Belle to a halt and regarded the young boy. "Where are you headed?"

"I was — I was going for a walk," said Jerry. "I finished all my chores, and I didn't think you would mind, Mr. Cuthbert. But if you do, I won't go!" Jerry started retreating backward into the barn.

"No, no, that's alright," said Mathew. "You go on ahead."

"Thank you Mr. Cuthbert!" said Jerry. "You and Ms. Cuthbert are always very kind to me!"

Jerry set off toward the woods surrounding Green Gables. Mathew looked curiously after him, but he was not one to pry and didn't ask any questions.

Jerry took to a path in the woods and it wasn't long before he came across the very person he was hoping to see, Ruby Gillis. At the sight of her, long blonde hair golden in the sun and a pretty smile on her face, Jerry was overcome by a sudden shyness.

Pushing past his emotions, Jerry tipped his cap to her in greeting. "Good afternoon, Miss Ruby, fancy seeing you here!"

Jerry was unsure how Ruby would react to the sight of him, but to his immense relief, she smiled.

In that golden afternoon with no one else around, Ruby had no reason to be unhappy to see the hired boy.

"Hello, Jerry. What are you doing here?"

The two stopped in the middle of the path, facing each other. With the yellow sunlight light filtering through the branches of autumn leaves above, and falling upon their heads in dapples, Ruby couldn't help but think that, if it had been anyone else, the moment might've been rather romantic.

"I was looking for you," admitted Jerry. "I wanted to ask how your essay went."

"It went real well," said Ruby with satisfaction. Then she added quickly. "It was kind of you to come, but you needn't have."

"I know I need not have, but I wanted to," said Jerry, just a touch cool.

Ruby was silent as she realized she'd offended the boy.

Jerry broke the silence by saying, "But it is good that your essay went well." There was another pause in which Jerry floundered for something to say. "Should we keep walking?"

They did so.

"Will you meet me after school again tomorrow?" asked Ruby abruptly.

"I thought you just said you didn't want me to come?" said Jerry, with eyebrows raised.

"I didn't say I didn't want you to." Ruby's cheeks turned pink. "I just said you needn't have. Besides, I have something for you and I need to give it to you. So will you meet me after school tomorrow, or not?"

Jerry thought of what a struggle it had been to finish his chores in time today, but he couldn't say no. Jerry was surprised to find himself thinking that he would take any excuse to see the girl. Saturday and Sunday had been the first days in a week that he hadn't seen Ruby, and he'd found himself missing her, despite how annoying she could be.

"Alright," agreed Jerry.

"Good," said Ruby. "Then I will see you tomorrow.

Ruby nodded politely at the boy, then continued down the forest path, leaving Jerry wondering what she could possibly have for him.

___________________________
This chapter is dedicated to deliciaette because it's her birthday and she's super sweet and amazing!