Twelve | an unexpected thank you

That evening, after a hard afternoon's work, Jerry and Ruby sat on the Green Gables porch quietly munching on apples. The sun had sunk below the horizon and could be scene burning brightly through the trees that surrounded the farm. Crickets were softly chirping and there was a certain peacefulness to the moment, a moment which would never have occurred between the two a week ago.

Jerry finished his apple and tossed the core away to join a growing pile just as Ruby, who was still nibbling on her last apple, said abruptly, "I spoke to Diana and asked her how she feels about you."

Jerry looked around quickly. "What did she say?"

Ruby shook her head. "She doesn't like you."

Jerry looked away. "Oh."

Realizing she might've been a little too blunt, Ruby quickly added, "at least not in that way,  but she did say you're very nice, I'm sorry."

Jerry shrugged. "It doesn't really matter. I guess I never really liked her that much anyway. She's just always very kind to me, so . . . " Jerry shrugged again.

They fell back into silence. Jerry reached for another apple.

"Have you finished your essay yet?" asked Jerry.

Ruby shook her head of long blonde hair. "Not yet. It's real difficult."

"More difficult than milking a cow?" asked Jerry with a sly grin.

Ruby giggled. "Almost . . . I actually wanted to ask a favor of you."

Jerry raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Ask away."

"I was just wondering . . . " Ruby hurried on, "Since I don't know when I'll see you next, I was wondering if you could meet me on the way to school Monday morning, and read my essay? Just to make sure it's alright, you know."

"Of course," said Jerry eagerly. "I'd be honored."

Ruby smiled at him and Jerry felt a sudden jolt in his stomach which he hadn't felt in a long while. When Ruby asked, "did Anne tell you there is going to be a dance in town?" Jerry felt another unexpected jolt.

Jerry looked at Ruby in surprise. "No. Will you go?"

"Yes, if someone asks me to be their partner," said Ruby.

Jerry frowned. "Why can't you go by yourself?"

"I could never, it would be too embarrassing!" said Ruby. "Josie would never let me hear the end of it!"

"I suppose Anne will be going with Gilbert?" asked Jerry. He glanced sideways at Ruby. He was as aware as anyone about Ruby's feelings for Gilbert Blythe, and was curious to see what her reaction would be to this question.

She was quiet for a moment and didn't look at Jerry. "I'm sure he will ask her. But Anne said she won't go with him no matter what happens."

"Anne can be very stubborn," said Jerry.

"I don't know why!" Exclaimed Ruby. "If Gilbert Blythe wanted to ask me to the dance of course I would say yes." After that statement, they both fell silent again.

There was the sound of wagon wheels and Mr. Gillis came riding up the pathway to Green Gables.

"I better go," said Ruby, jumping to her feet.

"And I'd better get the gate," said Jerry, also jumping to his feet.

They both lingered on the steps while making the pretense of leaving, as if waiting for something to happen. Finally Ruby blurted, "thank you!"

Jerry frowned at her in confusion. "For what?"

"For helping me with my essay," said Ruby in a rush. "It was real good of you."

"No problem," said Jerry.

This was the second time in a week that Ruby Gillis had thanked him unexpectedly.

Ruby could be annoying, and occasionally rude, but there was no denying that she had a good heart. If she only learned to listen to it better.

The two stared at each other for a moment, Ruby blushing slightly, then Jerry said again, "I'd better go get the gate for your father." Then he hurried off. Ruby gathered her things and then followed.

After Jerry waved goodbye to Ruby, he walked back up to Green Gables. Along the path he met Anne, her red-braids very vibrant even in the dim evening light.

"Mathew wanted me to ask you if you're heading home," asked Anne.

Jerry looked up at the sky. "It's getting dark. I'll probably spend the night in the hayloft. You'd think having extra hands would make it go faster but . . . Not exactly when it is Ruby."

"Mathew thought you might say that. He tried to convince Marilla to let you stay in our guest room,  but she wouldn't hear of it. However she agreed  that it would only be right to let you borrow some blankets," said Anne.

"That's very kind," said Jerry.

As the two walked back to Green Gables, Anne asked eagerly, "Did you and Ruby have a pleasant time?"

Jerry glanced at Anne suspiciously. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Anne's eyebrows were raised and she was looking at Jerry in a knowing way that he didn't like at all.

"Oh no reason," said Anne, pretending to be nonchalant. "What were you discussing?"

"She told me about the dance," said Jerry, realizing too late it was a mistake.

"She did?" squealed Anne. "Aw, Jerry, you must ask her to attend with you!"

Jerry frowned. "What?"

"You would look so sweet together —"

"Anne, I'm not going to the dance," interrupted Jerry.

"Well why not?" demanded Anne as they stepped onto the Green Gables porch and stopped in front of the door.

"I'm just a hired hand," said Jerry. "Hired hands don't go to things like dances. Besides, I don't have the time."

He went to open the door, but Anne continued, "Nonsense, Jerry. Admittedly you'll need a bit of cleaning up beforehand but you have as much right as anyone to go to a dance! And besides, it's obvious you like Ruby!"

"I don't like her!" protested Jerry.

"Jerry, please don't treat me as if I'm a fool. For I am neither that, nor blind. And there you were acting like you liked Diana the other evening!" said Anne. "It's obvious that it not the case."

"I don't like Ruby," repeated Jerry. "And more importantly, Ruby doesn't like me."

Jerry opened the door to Green Gables and stepped inside. Anne followed and said, "Ruby or not, I think you should go to the dance."

While this conversation was going on between Anne and Jerry, Ruby and her father were having their own conversation on the way home.

"The Cuthbert's hired hand seem like a real nice lad," said Mr. Gillis.

"He's alright, for a hired boy," admitted Ruby.

"It was nice of him to help you with your essay," continued Mr. Gillis. "You ought to do something to thank him for it."

Ruby thought of all the apples he'd eaten that evening.

"Well he seems real fond of apples," said Ruby. "I think I'll bake him an apple pie."