Eleven | Anne's vow

Beginne am Anfang

"She's ignoring Gilbert, obviously," said Josie Pye, rolling her eyes. "Honestly, you're always doing the silliest things. I don't think Gilbert cares a wit whether you look at him or not."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," said Tillie, nodding at the window.

The girls looked out the window to where Gilbert was standing with Charlie Sloane. He kept peering at the window.

This had been going on for a few days now. Ever since the drama at the Gray farm, Anne had been intentionally snubbing Gilbert Blythe.

"I'm not being silly, Josie," said Anne, glaring at Miss Pye. She lifted her chin into the air. "Gilbert Blythe is the silly one and I am done with his nonsense. All he ever does is annoy me and I'm done trying to be agreeable."

The other girls sent each other disparaging glances, all except Ruby. She gazed at Anne miserably for a moment then blurted, "I suppose you'll go to the dance with Gilbert, Anne?"

Anne's jaw dropped and her head whipped around to face Ruby. "Of course not! I just finished saying how I'm done with his nonsense! Ruby Gillis, how could you say such a thing?"

"We all know Anne will go alone," said Josie.

"I'd rather go alone than go with Gilbert Blythe!" cried Anne. "In fact I'd gladly go alone, just as Ms. Stacey is."

Ruby took a deep breath, and then, gathering all the strength she could muster she said, "I -I don't mind if you go with Gilbert, Anne." She blinked hard. "I'll be alright."

Anne jumped to her feet in a fury. "I don't want to go with Gilbert!"

"You'd make a nice pair," said Jane Andrews.

"I agree," added Diana. Her smile shriveled under the furious glance Anne sent her.

"Diana, I love you dearly," said Anne shaking her head. "But I cannot bare to hear even you speak of such things. I won't go with Gilbert Blythe! I swear on my mothers grave that I won't."

Ruby was shocked. "Anne! You oughtn't to do such a thing! Your mother wouldn't like to hear you using swear words! Especially by her grave."

"It means to make a strong promise, Ruby," said Anne. "And I vow to stick by my promise til I join my mother in the deepest depths of death!"

All the girls stared at Anne after this dramatic exclamation. All except for Josie who continued to eat her lunch casually.

"You all ought to calm yourselves," said Josie."Gilbert hasn't even asked anyone to the dance yet!"

"Well tell him not to bother," said Anne, sitting back down. "Because I —"

"Yes, we know," said Josie, rolling her eyes yet again. "You won't go with him until your dead. We heard. Why don't we discuss something else? Such as how many boys we all know are going to ask me to be their partner? Charlie Sloane is dead gone on me and I know it."

"Is he?" asked Diana.

"Oh yes," said Josie. "But it course I won't go with him."

The dance discussion continued through lunch, but Ruby didn't join in very much. She was stunned by her own sacrifice. More than anything Ruby wanted to go to the dance with Gilbert Blythe, but how could she when it was obvious how much he cared for Anne?

After class Ruby was once again planing to walk home to Green Gables with Anne. As she was putting on her hat and shawl in preparation to leave, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Ruby looked around and saw Charlie Sloane, standing behind her. Charlie Sloane was Gilbert Blythe's best friend. He was tall with brown hair and was usually making jokes and fooling around, but at times, like now, he could be extremely awkward.