Interview with KatherineArlene

“A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.”

                    ― Thomas Mann, Essays of Three Decades

The first things that come to mind when I think of Katherine are: fun, awesome, green jars and LOL (you know the why of the third one, I bet). Read on to find out more!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What's the story behind your username (or pen name)?

It’s my first and middle names, which also happen to be the names of both my grandmothers. 

(Ooh!!)

2. Do you like music? If yes, what's on your playlist at the moment?

I love music, especially EDM (electronic dance music)!  But I also listen to a lot of piano music while I write, both covers, modern, and classical.

What’s on my playlist currently is:

In Truth by Neon Motive

Demons by Imagine Dragons

Bloodflood by Alt-J

Stand Alone by Chris Lake and Lazy Rich

Only One by Chris Lake

Pulses by Karmin

Counting Stars by One Republic

Play Hard by David Guetta

Okay by Holy Gost!

You and Me (Baauer Remix) by Disclosure

I could go on and on, but I should stop before people stop reading.  LOL

(EDM! EDM! And 'Bloodflood' is pretty cool!!)

3. What is your favorite performing art?

I love watching ballet more than anything.  My youngest used to do it for years, and I loved going to her performances, or taking her to see professional ballet companies.  She quit a few years ago because she just wasn’t feeling it anymore and it broke my heart, but I had to respect her wishes. 

(Aww! :( )

4. Would you rather be a performer or work behind the scenes?

I’m a behind the scenes kind of person.  Plus working with costumes or set decoration is right up my alley.  It’s the kind of creative outlet I would excel at.

(Awesome!)

5. What are your favorite foods? (List as many as you like)

I love all kinds of food.  I’m very fond of Korean food, but I also like Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, as well as good old classic American favorites. 

6. Where would you go if you could travel anywhere? And why?

If I could go anywhere right now, I would go back to Germany which I visited once and fell in love with.  But I would love the opportunity to travel all over Europe, Great Britain, and India, since I’ve become friends with so many Indians here on Wattpad.

(Whoop! It'd be fun if you come here!)

7. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee or mint?

I have the feeling you’re speaking the international language of ice cream.  LOL  And in that case, coffee!

(Haha! Ice cream works just fine xD)

8. What languages do you speak? Where and how did you learn them?

I speak English.  I picked up some German during my brief visit there.  I took French for years, but I only recognize a smattering of words.  The schools where I grew up weren’t very good.  LOL

9. Do you have any special talents you'd like to share?

I can knit anything and usually don’t follow patterns exactly.  I’m always tweaking them to make them my own.  I spin my own yarn and own two spinning wheels as well as a drop spindle.  A drop spindle is 10,000 year old technology for spinning yarn, something a shepherd could do while tending sheep.  Every time I use it, I appreciate why spinning wheels were invented.  LOL

10. Do you have a favorite from among your works?

I hate choosing favorites because it’s like saying which one of your children is your favorite.  I love each of them for different reasons.  But the one I’m working on now, The Boy in the Woods, is very dear to my heart.  The two main characters, Marty and Jess are very special to me and I’m having a lot of fun writing it.  I’m really happy with how it’s turning out so far and I’m praying it’ll turn out as good as I see in my head.

11. Can you tell us something about it you haven't shared before?

Marty is based on someone in real life, a young author who used to be here on Wattpad.  His autobiography about his life in a gang showed up in my suggested stories one day.  When I read it, I was completely blown away, both by the heartbreaking story he told, and his raw talent.  I followed him and read his other stories, and eventually we became close friends.  He was a guy who had been through the worst kind of life, but had managed to survive and completely turn his life around.  He was still a tough guy in a lot of ways, but he had a huge heart.  Super smart and very thoughtful.  I learned a lot from him and I still miss our chats.

(Wow!)

12. Who is/are your favorite author(s)?

J.K. Rowling is my favorite and my biggest inspiration, but I love a lot of other YA authors.  Rebecca Donovan, Lauren Oliver, @JessicaSorensen, and Tammara Webber to name a few.  As for Wattpad authors, they're in my reading lists.  I wish I had more time to read, both on and off Wattpad.  I really miss that.  

13. How did you come by Wattpad? What do you think is the best thing about it?

I googled free reading and writing websites when I decided to share my first story.  There are two best things about it.  First, I’ve made a bunch of very good friends from all over the world that I would never have met otherwise.  Second, the ability for readers and authors to communicate while stories are being written is really cool.  

14. Any words for your fans?

THANK YOU!  I can’t express how much your words of encouragement and support for me and my writing means to me.  I feel like the luckiest person on the planet that so many love my characters and stories. 

15. Tell us something random about you, something you haven't shared before.

Hmmm, I shook Barack Obama’s hand.  It was when he was on the campaign trail the first time.  My husband and I went to see him give a speech and ended up being chosen to sit on some small risers directly behind the dais with other randomly chosen people.  That was exciting enough, but then he took some questions from the people on the risers while standing right in front of me, like close enough to touch.  Then afterwards, he shook all our hands.  I was trying to think of something to say when he shook mine, but my brain was totally scrambled and all I could do was stare at him like an idiot while I held his hand.  LOL  Finally, I realized I should probably let go and let him move on.  He’s very tall.

(Haha! Fun!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boy In The Woods in the external link. Thanks a bunch for the interview, Kat! ^_^