xxviii

Eve

Today was the day. The day of multitasking, the day of tears and the day that I had to push the thought of France out of my mind. I still hadn't told a soul, I didn't dare tell Sarah because I had no means of upsetting her so close to her wedding.

So, here I was, balancing a piece of toast in my mouth as I sifted through my various items of makeup. The time was eight-thirty in the morning and the wedding didn't start until one this afternoon but Sarah wanted an early start - except I was the only one up in her entire flat.

Last nights drinks were still scattered around the living room, empty cans of cider and coke decorated the coffee table and a sleeping Katie, who was curled up in a blanket, was still on the sofa where she had fallen asleep.

I bit into my toast, moving away from my makeup and sighing softly. The flat was fairly quiet apart from Katie's soft snores. Both Freya and Emily were asleep in Chai's room and Sarah was still tucked up in her room where I had left her, so it was just me in the kitchen with my toast and a cup of tea as I waited for anyone else to wake up because then the day would really begin.

"Good morning." Sarah's voice whispered and I jumped slightly, I turned round from the table to see her standing in the doorway whilst rubbing her eyes.

"Morning." I answered, giving her a bright smile.

"I'm getting married today!" Sarah whisper-yelled, shaking her hands in the air and returning my smile. I took another bite of my toast, still smiling widely at her. She approached me, flicking the kettle button down so it would start to boil the water.

"Did you sleep okay?" I asked, leaning against the counter top. She nodded, bringing a mug down from the cupboard and dropping a tea bag inside it. I nodded, finishing my toast and brushing my fingers together to dust off the crumbs. The soft padding of two pairs of feet filled the kitchen and Freya and Emily appeared in the doorway, they squealed running over to us and wrapping their arms around us. The four of us embraced each other, warming each other up in the slightly cold morning air. Four friends and one sleeping one, in the cold morning light, getting ready for a wedding.

***

Sarah let out a shaky breath as she gripped her bouquet of flowers tightly in her fingertips. A few loose petals had fallen onto her dress and I leant over her to pick them up and scatter them onto the floor of the car. There were five of us all squished in one car, Katie was sat in the front and giving the driver directions to the wedding venue whilst Sarah, Freya, Emily and I were all squished together in the backseat.

I rubbed Sarah's arm comfortingly as the driver pulled into the stone driveway, she let out a nervous sigh and her breath was even shaky than before. I leant my head on her shoulder, giving her arm a comforting pat as I looked up at her.

"You will be fine." I whispered, looping my arm through hers as she looked down to meet my gaze. She looked stunning today, her brown hair was curled and the front was pinned back with a small white flower. She was wearing soft makeup and a petal pink lipstick, and it was fair to say she was positively glowing in the sun that beamed through the back car window.

"And," I added, "You look stunning so you have no reason to be nervous."

The car came to a halt, and the driver gave us all a smile as he pulled up the handbrake. Katie clambered out of the front seat, Freya and Emily got out from both sides and I looked up at Sarah and pushed her towards one of the open doors, giving her a reassuring smile. Sarah let out a soft sigh, climbing out of the car and picking up her dress in her hands. As I climbed out after her, I shut the door behind me with a bit of a slam and brushed off the material of my dress and yet again linked arms with Sarah.

The five of us made our way up towards the venue's doors, lifting up our dresses so we didn't trip over them. It was then that I spotted Sarah's Dad, Simon and Harry and it was Simon's eyes I locked with first, I didn't stare too long as I quickly looked away to Sarah's Dad and Harry but I still felt his eyes on me. I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear, biting my bottom lip as Sarah's Dad gave Sarah a comforting hug, he looked a little sad but I guessed that he was just emotional as most Dad's are when it comes to weddings.

The five of us got into some sort of order: Katie and Harry at the front, then Freya and Emily, Simon and I and then finally Sarah and her Dad. All of the pairs had linked arms so hesitantly, I lifted up my arm and slid it around Simon's. He glanced down at me and then at our arms, he pressed his lips together before looking back in front of him. I rolled my eyes, looking away from him and over at some of the flyers that decorated the walls of the venue.

I felt his arms slack and I soon felt his cheek pressed against mine, his lips were almost pressed to my ear as he opened his mouth to speak "You look beautiful, Eve."

The hushed sound of his voice made my skin prickle with goosebumps and I soon felt a hot blush come onto my cheeks, I glanced up at him and gave him a shy smile which I truthfully, didn't intend to be shy.

"Thank you." I whispered, rubbing his arm with my hand. He grinned down at me which made butterflies erupt in my stomach, my chest tightened and I could almost hear my heart booming in my chest. It's fast flutters were loud in my ears and I silently begged it to calm down because I was sure everyone else would be able to hear it's heavy beating.

As the music started, I let out a shaky breath and focused my eyes forward. I knew that the only thing that should be on my mind was the wedding but I couldn't push a certain feeling out of brain, it just wouldn't leave as it seemed like it made a home there.

The thought of France still lingered in my brain.

The thought of leaving someone who had pushed their way into my life, who had made a home in my heart and worked their way into my brain. They were on my mind often, even though I didn't want them to be, and the thought of leaving them pulled on heart strings I didn't know could be tugged at. The thought of leaving Simon hurt. Everything I did, always led back to him. However hard I tried to escape him, he always came back into my life and I knew that after the wedding and we would go our separate ways, I knew that I would miss him. I knew that not having him in my life so often would be hard and even the thought of that made my heart hurt.

My heart was hurting. I had grown closer to him over the last few months and he had become a part of my life. I knew what this meant, I wasn't stupid. I knew what the longing pain in my heart meant and the tight feeling in my chest whenever I thought about being horrible to him. I hated to admit it. I hated to come to terms with the fact that I had fallen for Simon.

I had fallen for the boy that I was so determined to hate.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

yeet

finally an update and the wedding chapters have begun ;)

remember to vote and comment!

nell
15/10/17