27

Adora

"Thanks," I said, smiling at the barista as I grabbed my coffee from across the counter.

I dropped my loose change in the tip jar before weaving my way through the tables of the coffee shop.

A smile tugged at the corners of my mouth as soon as I saw Zayn sitting in a corner, his laptop in front of him.

I made my way over to his table and he looked up from his laptop screen, smiling as soon as our eyes met. "Hey, Addy."

"Hey, Zee. What's up?"

He jutted his bottom lip out and shook his head. "Nothing much, just writing out some documents for my dad."

I lifted an eyebrow. "Did something drastically change that I was unaware about?"

"Oh, no," he said, "no, I'm just doing it because I have nothing else to do. Not your typical twenty-one year old, not going to lie."

I smiled and took a sip of my coffee.

"Sit down," he ordered, nodding towards the chair in front of him.

I hadn't even really noticed I was still standing up. My head had been in an entirely different dimension for days.

I gently sat down in the chair and placed my coffee on the table, pursing my lips together as he stared at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, and I lifted my eyebrows.

"It's just that you've been out of it for a few days. I've been meaning to ask what's on your mind."

"Oh," I began, looking for an excuse to spit off, "oh, no, I'm fine. My... sleep schedule has been off."

He leaned back in his chair, folding his arms over his chest. "You don't have me convinced."

"And why is that?" I asked, the corners of my lips pulling up into a smile.

"You look way too well rested," he said, shrugging, "it's a no brainer."

"No, I really haven't been sleeping. Not that well, at least."

He narrowed his eyes. "I'm still not believing you."

"What is there to not believe? It's the most believable excuse ever-"

"Caught you," he sang, taking a drink of his tea, "excuse. So what's the real reason?"

I bit down on my lip. "Really, Zayn. I'm fine."

He braced his elbows on the table, his eyes boring into my own. "Still not believing you."

"It's really not a big deal, Zayn."

"It is," he said, "you're not strutting around with your usual moxie."

I shrugged. "Don't know how."

"Come on, Adds, you know you can tell me anything. You've got my word and you know it."

"Zayn, nothing's wrong."

I couldn't help the way it came out. It sounded snappy and harsh.

Good job, Adora, you're a royal screw-up.

He lifted an eyebrow, then furrowed them together. "Sorry for asking."

"Yeah, I'm sorry you asked, too."

I couldn't help my words. I knew things were going to start flying out any minute, so I stood up from my seat and barged out of the coffee shop before I could make more of a fool out of myself.