1

Adora

"I-I mean I think I'm good with kids. Or at least a few people have told me I am."

I twiddled my thumbs nervously, but I kept telling myself to stop.

You're sitting in front of one of the most prestigious women in Washington, Adora.

Alessandra Rose King, also known as wife to the most professional and successful businessman in Seattle.

And there were a lot of professional businessmen in Seattle.

Her husband didn't get seen much, he was good at staying under the radar.

"What else are you good at?" Alessandra asked, crossing her right leg over her left. "Pardon my impertinence, sweetheart."

I almost did the same, but I didn't. I just folded my hands in my lap. "Well, I can cook, a-and I'm pretty good at keeping things clean."

She gave me a one-take, tapping her pen against her bottom lip. "My husband should be home soon, why don't you stay behind and have dinner with us?"

I darted my tongue out to moisten my dry lips, shooting her a smile. "That sounds wonderful."

We sat in an awkward silence for a minute or two, her eyes just piercing into me.

No wonder why everyone was afraid of her, her looks could kill.

"If you don't mind, wh-where's your restroom?"

She leaned back on the sofa and grabbed her sweater before standing up. "Down the hall, and it's the second door on the right."

"Thank you," I said, standing up. "Pardon me."

She smiled and walked into their grand kitchen, making me nervously shuffle into their restroom.

I closed the door behind me and let out the huge breath I'd been holding in since I'd turned into their driveway.

I looked at myself in the mirror, brushing out my hair with my fingers. I wanted to look as presentable as I could for the richest family in Washington.

I braced my palms on the counter, eyeing the ornate sink to the right of me.

Every single detail in the house was as elaborate as it could be; art lining the walls, ornamental tables, you name it, it was there.

Even their toilet paper was more intricate and elaborate than it should've been.

I sighed and opened the door, walking back out into the hallway.

I took my time walking, admiring all the murals and art on the walls. I lightly brushed my fingers against the wall, but I ran into a table when I heard a booming voice coming from in front of me.

"And you are?"

I knocked a vase over and he grabbed it as quickly as he could before it fell to the floor, catching it with a single hand gracefully.

Alessandra walked into the hallway, two boys' hands in her own. "This is Adora... my goodness, what was your last name again?"