Chapter 1: life in solitude part 3

'It's been quite quiet for the last three weeks. I've heard no gunshots, no car engines, not even growls of infected. The quiet is nice but not natural. Through all of the stuff that I've been doing in preparation for my visitors I should be swarmed with infected. Car engines starting, the sound of windows breaking, and just the general noise of all the traps I had been setting up.

I do have one upside from being at the shop. Wiring and a advanced knowledge on how electronic devices work. I should probably thank the good doctor for what he's done... with a fucking sledgehammer straight to his damn head.

I would have probably been dead and unmoving by now if I never met the dude, at least then I wouldn't have to worry about the dead or the living. It would be peaceful and quiet.

The fact their is no sounds what so ever is reason for alarm. It's like you read in all those fishing novels, "the calm before the storm." It's not natural and makes me a little anxious with nothing to currently do.

I put down the pen and looked at the last passage. I had written quite a bit in this little book. I guess I'll probably burn it once it's full and I can't write in it anymore. It doesn't have anything of use and there's no point in keeping a book of thoughts on a dead man.

'Man. Interesting word to describe myself. Am I a man? I know I'm not human, at least not since I was three feet shorter all those years ago. But would man actually describe me?' I thought.

My thoughts turned to the years I spent in this place and the time I had with the others who escaped with me. For those who are still alive or missing causes me to wonder where they went and why they didn't come back.

'Could it have been me?' I thought.

I came out of my thoughts slowly as I got myself out of old memories. I got out of the red recliner that I moved into the house years ago. I went out the back door and tended to the gardens. The potato's were a flop. They didn't grow and just seemed to mold and decay.

'Guess I can't grow things either.' I thought. I was just about to head inside when I heard a boom. It wasn't a loud boom but it was a boom nonetheless. I went motionless and strained my ears to hear better. I could hear a boom again except louder and it sounded like a gunshot. I couldn't be certain but it did have the quick sound to it. Upon the third boom I was positive that it was gunshots.

Where there were gunshots people were to follow. I quickly walked inside my house before I barricaded the back screen door. I put enough stuff in the way to guarantee that you couldn't open it. I quickly ran to another room in the house that I had recently reopened. In this room was a poorly drawn map with several X's that were put up to show the traps I had laid out. If everything went well, the humans coming would leave and not come back.

I sat for what felt like hours as the sounds of gunshots got louder. Eventually there was the sound of an engine as the humans brought loud cars to this quiet neighborhood. I quickly turned on the little mics that I had looted from the military nuts house. With those I could clearly hear the sound of multiple cars or trucks coming in. The vehicles came to a halt and I heard people get out of the cars.

"-ur absolutely sure that this... survivor is in this neighborhood?" Man 1 said. As I heard a car door open and close.

"Yes. This is the one. Although, this blockade wasn't here before..." man 2 said. I grabbed the note that was left the last time and made a mental note on who's voice belonged to Steve.

"So after this... ninja zombie assassin- thing came out of the shadows, he flattened the zombie and gave you his sledgehammer?" Man 1 said skeptically.