Chapter Twenty-Six

When Liam and I walk into the conference room, it's the same group as the first time I came here, Ben and Emilia included. They both rush over to us, and Emilia gives me a huge hug. Ben begins to apologize on his parents' behalf and I laugh.

Everyone looks at me, and when I finally realize that my response was inappropriate I also realize that I don't care. "Your parents knew exactly what they were doing," I say.

"Yes, they did," Rosamund, the head of PR for the Kensington royals, says. "Mary played that expertly, and at your expense."

"And Liam's," says Ben.

"But more Maggie's," Emilia says. "Your mother left her standing in a press pool after unceremoniously announcing that Maggie is Liam's girlfriend."

Ben sighs and closes his eyes.

Rosamund continues with, "The good news is that Natalie moved swiftly, and got you out of there safely."

"How bad is the bad news?" I ask, looking at Rosamund squarely.

"It's not bad yet," she says. "We're still in the excited and breathless phase where the news that Liam even has a girlfriend is still breaking, but there are, of course, some people on social media screaming about you being American and that you must be using Liam for your own career advantages."

I nod. "Okay. I mean, that's not surprising, right?"

"No," Rosamund says. "But you do need to freeze all social media and website activity immediately, and you need a new phone."

"Already taken care of," Ava says. "Maggie, your new phone is currently being set up by our cybersecurity team. You should have it soon."

I nod, my head swimming at how quickly this is all happening.

"You said 'yet'," I say to Rosamund. "It's not bad yet."

"I did," she says. "Because it's inevitable that in a few days, when the excitement is about the news that you exist has died down and outlets want to keep their page views boosted, the tables will turn and the mudslinging will start."

I nod, knowing she's right about how the news cycle works even if it's annoying and unfair.

"We have plans in place for this already," she says. "So unless there's something we don't know about you, there shouldn't be anything we can't handle."

"Sounds like you'll be all set, then," I say.

"Great," Rosamund says. "Next, we need to talk about your father, who I've been told is arriving in London in just a few hours."

"Yes," I say, feeling the tears starting to pool in my eyes at how unfair it is that he's going to walk off a plane, excited to see his daughter in the city where his parents met, and walk into a media firestorm.

"I know Liam had already arranged for a car to pick him up, and I don't see any reason why that should change. Your father can take the car to your flat and meet you, me, and Liam there."

"What?" I ask.

"He'll need to be briefed on the situation immediately."

"Yeah, no," I say, not caring if I'm being disrespectful or impolite. "I'll be meeting my dad at the airport."

"Maggie, that isn't advisable right now," Rosamund says.

"It's an airport," I say. "One of the busiest in the world, and it's not like anyone will be checking IDs if you're waiting to meet someone at arrivals. I'll lay flat in the car on the way there and wear a freaking baseball hat and oversized sunglasses if you want, but I am meeting my dad at the airport and I am telling him about all of this myself."