Chapter Fourteen

The morning of my trip to London, I'm awoken at dawn by my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I say into the phone, my voice groggy from sleep, as I bring it to my ear.

"Hello!" a jovial male, accented voice says back to me. "Why is the screen black? Maggie, this is a video call."

I blink, and then realize what's going on: Liam video called me at ass-crack o'clock, and I put the damn phone to my ear.

Probably a smart move, considering there's no telling what my bed head looks like, but I run a hand through my hair in an attempt to smooth it down and thank God that I used a sheet mask last night, ensuring that at least my skin will look luminous.

Once the phone is positioned in front of my sleepy face, Liam, who is wide awake since it is mid-morning in London, says, "There you are. Sorry I called so early, but I'm afraid I won't get another chance before you leave and I wanted to talk to you before your flight."

"Hey," I say, my brain doing its best to keep up. "That's okay. It's just . . . really early. How are you?"

"Good," he says. "Excited to see you tomorrow."

"Me, too," I say, smiling. "There's just a red-eye flight and my cab ride from the airport between us now."

"I hope you plan to sleep on the plane," he says. "Because jet lag is not going to do for the plans I have."

"Oh?" I ask.

He nods. "You and I have lots of catching up to do. I imagine it will take, oh, all night."

"Well," I say, doing my best to be nonchalant. "I guess we'll have to see how I'm doing. I can't make any promises."

Liam glares at me and says, "So what you're saying it that I should bring coffee instead of flowers."

I laugh and say, "Coffee definitely can't hurt."

"I'll see what I can do," he says. "Well, I just wanted to call and wish you a safe flight, and let you know how stoked I am to see you tomorrow."

"Thanks," I say, smiling.

"Now go back to sleep like I know you want to."

I roll my eyes, but say, "Thanks for calling."

"Of course," he says. "See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

***

Many frenzied hours later, Oliver and I do a final sweep of my apartment.

"Mags, I think you have everything," he says.

Even so, I circle the small space again, and then re-read the note I left for Josh, making sure that there's nothing I left out and need to add.

"Seriously, Maggie," Olly says. "The cab is downstairs. There's nothing left for you to do but go."

I know he's right, and I take a deep breath before giving my apartment a last look for at least three entire months.

When I exhale, I say, "Okay. Let's do it."

It takes both of us to get my largest suitcase down the stairs, and then we each have to do another trip for my second checked bag, carry on, and my purse.

When everything is in the cab and we're on the road to JFK, I hand my keys over to Oliver so that he can give them to Josh.

"This is it?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say. "Were you expecting more?"

"I thought you'd have a massive packet of information for him."