2

Curtis was the last to leave the class.

Just as he walked out a boy ran into him dropping his books and belongings in the process.

"Watch where you're going," Curtis said in annoyance to the boy before walking away. But halfway through something inside him snapped.

He was tired of walking away

For once in your life make yourself useful said his consciousness.

So he turned.

But he was too late

Curtis saw someone else crouching down to help the freshman. The freshman looked up and stared back at  Curtis giving him a look of pure disappointment.

And that's exactly what I am

Putting up an emotionless facade, Curtis turned and walked away. On his way, he heard annoying remarks from people talking about the stupid party. And the idiot who started it all stood there with a wide grin, leaning on his locker.

"Stop smiling" Curtis snapped pushing Jake off his locker.

"I can't, your happiness is too contagious."

Curtis closed his locker with a slam heading for the entrance. All the while he ignored his best friend's ranting and focused on trying not to punch him.

His stunt in the morning was still fresh in his mind.

"-and she was like ba-"

"Don't you have detention?"

"Do you not wanna spend time with me?" asked Jake pouting.

"Go away and I'll be there at six"

"Fine. See you at six sugar plum" replied Jake wiggling his eyebrows.

He flipped him the bird in response.

...

Reluctantly Curtis got ready for the party.

He came downstairs dressed in a blue button shirt and headed straight to the door. Just when he was about to leave he heard someone clearing their throat.

More specifically his aunt.

He halted in his tracks and turned.There she was standing with her with her arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed.

Clearly, she was curious about where he was sneaking without telling her.

"Where do you think your going young man?"

"Out"

"Please elaborate"

"A party at Jake's," said Curtis looking elsewhere. When there was no response he looked up to see his aunt gaping at him.

"What?" he asked frowning.

Rose snapped out of whatever the reverie she was caught in and blinked twice, pinching herself discreetly.

The action was not gone past Curtis though.

What the hell is wrong with everybody

"No no no it's nothing sweetheart. It's just this is the first time you're actually socializing an-"

"Can I go now?"

"Aunt Rose," he said again a bit louder.

"Oh yes yes you may go.Have fun" she said with a small smile, still not over the surprise.