Chapter Four

"You didn't tell me everyone in our entire family was going to be here," I grumbled to my brother as we drove up to my parents house and I saw all the cars parked along the street.

"I told you it was a family barbecue," Liam said, not getting my irritation.

"I thought you meant our family. Just like–" He was giving me that look that said he did not understand me. My family had looked at me like that a lot the past few years. "Never mind," I said.

I had been expecting our immediate family at the party. As in, Mom, Dad, Liam, me...and maybe our Uncle Tim. I did not expect everyone even remotely related to us to be here. I sighed, not wanting to face them.

Somewhere along the way I had sort of become the black sheep of the family. The one everyone gossiped about. "Did you here Beau is with someone more than twice his age?!" "Oh the scandal!"

Liam found a place to park and we got out of his truck. As we approached the house, I realized I should've brought something. Harrison would have made sure we came with some kind of food dish or something to drink. I felt woefully guilty walking in empty handed. He would've given me a good spanking for forgetting good manners.

As soon as we walked into the house I was being smothered. "Hi, Mom," I said and she squeezed me so tightly I actually thought she might kill me.

"Oh, I'm so happy you're here," she said with emotion in her voice.

I knew my mom loved me, but it was hard to remember sometimes because what she thought was best for me was completely different than what I believed I needed in life.

I hugged her back because I hadn't seen her in months and I was truly happy to see her. If she didn't mention Harrison in a hurtful way I was sure we could get through this barbecue with no mishaps.

She finally pulled back and put her hands on my cheeks, just looking at me. I'd been told many times I looked just like my mother. The pale brown hair, green eyes, petite noses, and full lips were all exactly the same on us. I'd also inherited my height from my mother. It was something I had learned to accept a while ago. I was never going to be tall enough to reach the top shelf.

"Look at you," she said, smiling and looking sad at the same time. "I don't like it when you stay away for so long and now, you're all alone over there..."

"It's okay, Mom," I forced out, putting on my fake smile. I changed the subject by saying, "I'm sorry I didn't bring anything. It totally slipped my mind."

"Oh, don't worry about that! I'm just so glad that you came," she said, leaving all the sadness behind and finally looking genuinely happy. She kissed my cheek and grabbed my arm to pull me further into the house.

Liam had left sometime during my talk with Mom and we found both him and Dad in the kitchen, standing over the queso dip with beers in their hands.

My dad smiled at me and I went around the kitchen island to give him a side hug.

"How's my little boy doin'?" He asked in his rough voice.

I punched him lightly on his large stomach. "Not a little boy, Dad," I said with a frown.

"You'll always be little to me," he replied. I sighed and reached for a chip. "You need a haircut." He ruffled my hair, terribly messing it up.

"Dad, I've had the same haircut since I graduated high school. I like it this way." I shoved a chip into my mouth. He had told me numerous times that my hair made me look like a girl. It was only shoulder length, just touching the tops of my shoulders, but that was still too long according to him. I was tired of arguing with him about it so I tried to shut down that topic of conversation as soon as possible.