Chapter 32 (Part 2 of 2)

Start from the beginning

His chest gave one more heave as his last breath wheezed loudly from his lungs.

"Adam?"  Dava started to panic.  “Adam,” she tried again, squeezing his cheeks with her hands.  “I need you.”

His eyes rolled into the back of his head and then they fluttered closed. 

“Adam?” She screamed.  “Adam? I need you to talk to me.  You better open your damn eyes and talk to me right now!” She demanded.

The forest surrounding them went completely still.  No sounds.  No movements.  No nothing.

It was then that she felt it.  The sharp pain from their newly formed connection snaps in two. The pain stole the breath from her chest.  It was like someone had driven a butcher knife straight into the deepest part of her soul and twisted it until there there was just-nothing.  Nothing but a hard, cold emptiness filling her chest, freezing the pain.

“No!”  She yelled at the top of her lungs.  This was not happening.  “No! No!  No!  Damn you Adam!  You better not think that you can leave me that easily.  Not now.  Not today!  Not anytime!  Don’t you fucking dare or so help me…?” 

Tears spilled shamelessly down her cheeks, blurring her vision.  She knew that he was already gone.  She’d felt him leave her. 

She had been too late.  Adam, her mate lay motionless in her arms because she was too late to save him.

“Dava,” a gentle hand touched her shoulder.  She recognized the voice as her brother’s but wanted nothing to do with him.  All she wanted was for Adam to open up his eyes again and tell her that he was going to be okay.  Growling low in her throat she jerked away from his touch and wrapped her shaking arms around her mate’s cold form.  She pressed her cheek to his and held on with everything she had in her. 

“Dava, sweetheart?  He’s gone.” Jason tried again.  Her pain was breaking his heart but he had to think about her safety first.  That was priority.  They needed to get back to a safe house.  Pronto.

He tried to get through to her again.  “There is nothing more that we can do for him.  He’s with the Goddess now,” he assured her. 

When she still didn’t respond, he bent down and tried to pull on her arm.  “Listen Dava, I know this is hard for you but we need to get out of here, now.  I don't know how much longer it will be before the rogues find us.  We aren't safe here.”

Dava whipped around and with surprising speed, she knocked Jason's hand away from her.  "Don't," she warned in a gravely voice.  "Don't make me leave him."

Jason stood his ground.  "Sweetheart, look."  He pointed at Adam's body.  "Can't you see that he is already gone."  She glanced down at Adam but didn't speak.  Jason pushed on.  "He's with the Goddess now.  Do you really think he'd want you out here in the open where you could be attacked at any second?"

She refused to look at her twin and continued to keep her silence.  There had to be another way.  

"Well, do you?" he asked impatiently.  They sounds of fighting were getting closer.  He really needed to get them out of here now or it might be too late for all of them.

She started to shake her head back and forth.  "No," she spoke the one word with such a deadly calm.  "It's not over.  It can't be over."  Bringing her wrist to her mouth, she let her canines elongate and then bit into her skin. Quickly her blood welled up at the newly made puncture wounds.  Using her other hand, she grabbed Adam's chin and pulled, forcing his mouth to open.   "My blood can save him.  It can help bring him back like his blood brought me back."