22) ...and what fades away

Getting up in the early morning after a day off sucked. Seriously. Not finding a text from her vigilante boyfriend sucked even more. No message about staying in. No report about arriving home safe, without a scratch, okay, whatever. Vera suspected Matt was bitten in his ass by running around in his underwear in a blizzard, fell asleep with killer cold and hadn't woken up yet. Not that he had to – firstly, he had his own practice so he was the master of his time and secondly, it was freaking early. Vera sleepily let his sin slide and got ready for work.

To make her day even better, she entered MDDC and found Caroline with Barbara in. Great. It could have been worse though – it could have been Olivia, who had been shooting her really weird looks ever since she had cut her hand while watching Vera and Matt flirt over the counter, or Hannah - her eyes popped every time she saw Vera, because she knew she went to L&Z benefit with Matt Murdock. So yeah, it could have been worse. However, it could have been better.

She made herself green tea (with leaving the teabag in much longer than usual, because she needed something strong) and started working. People were lately demanding their coffee stronger as well – Vera suspected it was the darkness, which was disappearing too late and made their getting up harder. They kept coming to the café with zombie looks.

Vera took her break around ten as usual. While eating, she checked her phone – still no message. She didn't want to freak out just yet. But she did text Matt and shoved her phone in the pocket of her apron to know about his text or call instantly.

Another hour passed. There weren't many customers so she excused herself, went to the bathroom and called Matt's phone, not caring whether she would wake him up or interrupt a meeting. Because dammit, Murdock! I'm worried about you!

He didn't pick up. Vera let out a frustrated huff and considered calling Claire. Before scaring her as well though, she checked the website for the Devil's sightings. Maybe he stayed in and just didn't let her know, cold hitting him too hard. For all she knew, he could have suffer more than ordinary human being; God knows every man suffer more than women can possibly imagine when catching it, let alone with his heighten senses (which must have been dulled and for Matt, that would be probably very unpleasant), including pain.

Her blood turned to ice when she discovered two different thank you from the last night.

She desperately ran her fingers through her hair. It was nothing. He just hadn't text her. His phone had died. Or something like that. She was being paranoid. He was alright.

Vera called Claire. She knew it was a good idea to take her number when they had their bloody encounter. After the phone call, she would decide it was more like a curse.

"Hey, Vera. It's everything, okay?"

Vera whined silently. No it's not. "Hi. I don't know," she sounded panicked even to herself.

Her tone startled Claire. "Vera? Are you alright? Is... is he alright?"

"Is there any reason he shouldn't be? Did he stop by yesterday?" Vera demanded, hope rising in her chest. Claire might know something. Maybe she had treated some of his not so minor wounds and ordered him to stay in and now she thought he got worse since Vera called her. Yeah. That would make sense.

"Uhm... no. He... didn't. Is there any reason why you sound like someone scared the shit out of you?"

Yes. She bit her lip. "I haven't heard from him. It' just... it's probably nothing." It wasn't nothing. She was getting uncomfortably sure of it.