6) Heaven help me...

She met Terri at the door to MDDC. She seemed to be as tired as Vera. They mumbled something that could be understood as a greeting and came in. The weather was awful. It was cold, drizzling and one couldn't see more than a foot in front of him. The charming autumn came to New York City. It was as unpleasant as back home.

Both girls recovered as they spent some time in the heated space of the shop. The tea and the coffee helped too. Vera loved shifts with Terri – both, morning ones and afternoon ones – but she preferred the mornings, since she needed to cheer up. She was glad that the third person with them was Caroline, because running into Olivia on such a gloomy day at such an unholy hour would ruin her day. And possibly her weekend too.

People weren't delighted about the rain either. Nope. They were bickering outside and inside the café, they were impatient and Vera would swear the crowds doubled since Wednesday. She considered making herself another tea, or maybe even a hot chocolate. She needed some sugar in her system. Around half past nine, she gave up and used a bathroom and drank from the tap at least. She was getting cranky and she knew it.

On her was back to the counter, she saw Terri give a small wave and smile – she curiously eyed the receiver. It was a likeable man, slightly overweight, with funny long (and wet-ish) blond hair and a nice smile. He put a leather case over his head and disappeared into the flow of people.

"Who was that?" she asked Terri as she turned to her with curious look.

"That was the less hot half of Nelson & Murdock. Still a charmer, though. He also-"

It immediately caught Vera's attention. She didn't hesitate and bent over the counter, hoping she could get another glimpse of him. He was gone. "That was Matt's colleague?!" she blurted out and Terri laughed in response.

"Jeez, girl. Way to be subtle." She laughed again and then she froze.

"Sorry."

"No, no, no. Wait. Did you say 'Matt's colleague'?" she asked her suspiciously and Vera found nothing suspicious about that.

So she agreed.

"Matt's. Not Murdock's. Matt's!" And yeah, Vera saw where that headed. Terri's eyes popped. She smacked Vera's arm. "Are you on a first name basis with Mr. Hot 'n Badass lawyer?"

"Uhm. In case you are talking about Matt Murdock, then yeah," she answered timidly.

Terri smacked her arm again. Ouch. "You slay dog!"

Vera wrinkled her nose. "You did not just call me that." She turned to the next customer. "Welcome to MD-"

"Just hold on a second, would you?" she interrupted her talk loudly and gestured to the customer, dragging her away.

"What-"

"How did that happen? When?!"

Vera couldn't believe her. She really dragged her away from the counter just to ask her about it. Vera sighed. "Ok. If I answer one of your questions, would you be so kind and let me work? And you know, serve customers with me?"

Terri considered her offer. "Fine. But when it's less busy, you answer the other one."

"Deal."

Vera had to fight a villain's laughter. She was going to wrack her. She created the brightest smile she managed.

"So?"

"It happened last night," Vera said simply and the look on Terri's face was gold. She was gaping at her silently, mouthing words like what, shit, kidding me, fuck. Vera was more than satisfied.