Chapter 26: Confrontations

Start from the beginning

Sienna didn't divert eye contact as she kept self-control, but the massive pressure of everything that had unfolded in the last twenty-four hours felt like a physical weight. Her empathy for the person standing in front of her should've been present, but wasn't. She just wanted to leave the situation, "Maybe I am. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for lying to you."

"Someone sounds honest." Zerina taunted, not believing the half-hearted apology.

"I am being honest." The spy forced out between shut teeth. She was regretful, very much so, but her body once again fell into that feeling of claustrophobia, causing her to grow greatly uncomfortable and short-tongued.

She didn't turn away from her opponent to undo the wraps over her knuckles, ready to leave the basement. Her throat had constricted, wishing the argument was done.

Zerina had completely different plans. She had suppressed her grief and wrath too long, "The truth's new for you. You know what else is? The fact that you've been gone five months and no one suspects you."

"Suspects me of what?" Sienna kept removing the cloth while she knew full well what question her sister raised; one of her loyalty.

A cold smirk that looked too much like Nya accompanied another accusation, "You come back in great shape after being in the hospital for under two months. You conveniently forget everything from when you were abducted."

Sprouse knew what territory she was walking into. Her body language stayed firm with her vexation, but eyes betrayed her observation to see how far she could push the seasoned agent. Perhaps she even feared the reaction despite her boldness.

"What are you accusing me of? Being a double agent?" Firman left the wraps behind, turning to full on face her. She was appalled by the claim. The idea of even betraying SHIELD, the entity she'd devoted her life to? Very close to crossing a dangerous line, "Yes, I did lie to you and I'm sorry, but-"

"Hard to take that from a murderer."

This was enough. Sienna could feel her ribs shrinking around her organs and felt like she was growing smaller. She was being lured into a fight and her distressed state was too easy to manipulate, "I'm loyal to SHIELD. Now stop trying to wind me up and leave me alone."

The stairs were now very inviting as the basement had grown too confined for her liking. She grabbed her spare knives off the table and fastened them back on her jacket whilst she headed for the steps up.

"Oh, fine, run away." Zerina still held her grief close as it bloomed into bitterness that flourished in anger, calling after her last living relative, "Go back to your Captain and Romanoff or Coulson's team, keep lying to them."

"I'm not lying to them." Deep breaths cooled her from completely giving into the bait, letting her voice become more natural to conceal indignation. Her gut twisted with the mention of her friends, something that should've been left alone.

"It's not your first time."

Sienna pressed her lips together, chest rising with an intake of oxygen. Natasha's recorded speech kept in her mind as her skin felt hot. Her mind was becoming overloaded and she shielded her hostility, "I'm not a double agent, but someone in SHIELD is and that's what we should be worried about right now. There's a reason we're in this cabin and on the run."