Chapter Four

Mikasa pulled Eren’s body out of the dying Titan and sprang up to meet with the rest of us on the rooftops. 

Fala unstrapped from my back.

“Strap Eren to my back, so we’ll all have our hands free in case of an emergency,” I told Mikasa.

 She looked at me reluctantly.

“We need your fighting skills if we even hope to make it back alive Mikasa,” I state in a hard tone, sending a glance to Eren to emphasis that none of us will make it otherwise.

She gave in finally and nodded in agreement. Helping to strap the unconscious Eren to me.

            We traveled quickly, but not quick enough. A Titan was chasing us, faster than any I’d seen before. A variant. I growled in annoyance and growing exhaustion. It jumped across buildings, its creepy smile growing as it neared. But, with the help of Fala, Mikasa was able to, with only slight difficulty, take the thing down with out any further casualties.

We finally made it to the wall and I unstrapped Eren and gave him to Mikasa and Armin, and then Fala jumped back into the straps as I scaled the wall.

            We made it over and began to head towards the camp where the soldiers who had made it were resting. We were almost there, but then a group of soldiers began to surround us, cornering Armin, Mikasa and I (and Fala). We were herded like animals against a wall. Fala growled, her hackles rose menacingly as we continued to be cornered.

A commander came with a few other higher-ranking soldiers and a cannon was set towards us. The man screamed questions at us; tired sunken eyes, and his frail pale face betrayed his feelings though, his completely terrified feelings.

Eren finally came to and was utterly confused as to what was going on. He answered the commanders’ questions with an unsure, truthful voice. But, the commander wouldn’t give in.

Multiple times we were almost killed by the cannon. Eren managed to summon a partial titan to surround and protect us at one point, which earned even more suspicion. Then, Armin tried to convince the fear-engulfed commander of our good intentions, and of our possible benefit to humanity.

Yet, no matter how much sense Armin made, the commander wouldn’t listen, his hand raised to signal the cannon and I closed my eyes, waiting for the noise of the cannon to signify my death.

But, the sound never came, I opened my eyes to see yet another commander standing there, just barely in time to stop the signal. I breathed out heavily.

******

Commander Pixis had agreed to let us help, after a long talk and him taking multiple swigs of his most likely alcoholic drink, he made a decision. He felt that Eren might be the only way to save humanity, and that we could learn from him. Or, at least, Eren could bring about a victory for humankind for once. 

Armin had come up with a plan, and it seemed, we were going to follow through with it. Eren was to transform into his Titan form, while everyone lured as many titans as possible to a corner of the wall. Then Eren would move a large boulder to seal the hole in the wall, save the district, and protect Wall Rose from being destroyed.

It had a high fail rate, and was based off a gamble to see whether or not Eren and his Titan form would pull through.

But, Pixis, with his stinging, loud, and persuasive words, managed to get basically every single soldier to agree with the plan, even with its somewhat weak center.

Mikasa and I (and Fala) were in the group that was to protect Eren. We traveled quickly along the wall, taking the fastest route possible to the boulder. Once close enough, Eren bit his hand and transformed. His titan form stood there for a moment, before turning around and looking at us. He then tried to kill Mikasa, by swatting his hand down onto the rooftop she was standing on. Mikasa was fast enough to jump out of the way though. I gasped as Eren went berserk.

One of the squad leaders sent out the signal, to let the others know that something was wrong. Then, other titans began to gather in the area and, after a dispute between the squad leaders, I was told to attack the advancing titans, and continue protecting Eren. I continued fighting for a while, helping out many of the others, instead of going head on and trying to kill the monsters on my own. When I returned after killing a single Titan, and assisting in about three other killings, Eren was sitting beside the boulder in his Titan form, Armin sat on the creatures’ back, his sword stuck into it, and he was talking.

Then suddenly, Eren was alive and awake, functioning, and in control. He yelled in his massive and echoing titan voice, then picked up the enormous rock and began walking.

I traveled alongside him. Fala ran a little ways away to attack a small unsuspecting Titan as it came a little to close to our path. She jumped across the rooftops and killed it with ease by slicing across its neck in one fluid jump. She then ran back to my side. We traveled pretty quickly, and were almost there, when more titans began to enter from the hole in the wall.

Our squad and the others fanned out along the ground, basically suicide. But, we managed to lead the Titans away from Eren, mostly. Many of us were being killed, but I managed to attach to a Titan and fling myself around it, detaching Fala from my back. She ran down its leg within seconds, and clawed at its Achilles tendon on its right leg. As it stumbled I sliced through its neck and jumped away.

I land on a recently killed Titan, in front of a guy I hadn’t seen with us previously. The titan I’d just killed fell to the ground, the noise of the crashing of its body hitting the ground echoed throughout the area. The guy turned away from Eren and Mikasa, who had collapsed behind him, his scout regiment cloak blowing in the wind. His dark hair glistened in the sun and his dead grey eyes bore into mine, making my heart skip a beat.

“What happened here?”