(1) The Past

TRIGGER WARNING: There are implications of abuse, sexual harassment, etc. in this chapter and possible future chapters. I will not be extremely graphic in my descriptions/storytelling but please heed my warning.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. OTHERWISE PLEASE LEAVE.

*********

A/N: As of June 2021, the chapters have been rewritten. 

And a polite reminder, this is fanfiction meaning that the personalities of the characters and facts from the book and greek mythology will not be exact. Although if you believe that my story's take on Greek mythology is completely absurd, kindly let me know and I'll see to it.

ARTEMIS POV

Long ago the hunt used to have a guardian. He was the Olympian god of Heroes, Loyalty, Water, and swordsmanship. He was the greatest hero of all time. His name was Perseus.

I have known him for almost as long as I can remember. I first met him during a council meeting that our parents brought us to. We immediately connected. He understood me like no one else. When I was announced as an Olympian and was given the hunt, he was very supportive. Although I saw it in his eyes that he was worried that we would not have time for each other anymore. My father favored Perseus greatly and knew I was worried about it too so; he gave him the role of guardian of the hunt.

***flashback***

"Congratulations!" he said as he handed me flowers. "Umm is this ok? I didn't know if I was supposed to get you anything."

I laughed. He was so awkward. "They're lovely," I responded after I took it off his hands and sniffed one.

"Oh and one more thing." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a jewelry box. I opened it and revealed a celestial bronze cuff bracelet with a crescent moon in the center contained in a circular emerald. It was bordered with a ring of celestial bronze with waves engraved into it.

"Oh wow," I gasped. "You didn't have to."

He began rubbing his head as he flushed brightly. "It turns into a bow if you rotate the waves. Hephaestus helped me with it. And I got the flowers from Persephone. You said you really liked these flowers before so I..." he trailed off.

I hooked my right arm into his left, "Let's go guardian," leading him to exit the room.

He laughed, "I guess you're stuck with me."

"Promise?"

"Promise. I won't leave your side."

***flashback end***

We went on many adventures together and saved many young girls from tragedy. The first maiden to join the hunt was Zoe. She was very wary of Perseus at first but warmed up to him eventually. Many of the hunters we saved had the same reaction initially. But over time they would treat him like family.

While we had great memories together, some were also bad. I think our worst fight started over my friend Orion. His hunting skills were quite admirable, and he was very talented with a bow. Apollo kept warning me that Orion was not to be trusted but l did not listen to him. He has always been overprotective. Later, I found out that Perseus agreed with him. I accused him of being jealous of his brother's abilities and before I knew it we were arguing, and I said something I shouldn't have.

***flashback***

"So, you agree with him?" I shouted.

"Yes I do," he revealed.