(32) Unravel

THIRD POV

"Artemis," Zeus bellowed out.

"Yes, father?"

"I know you have been through quite a lot these past few days, but I need you to hunt down a monster. Afterward, you can rest in camp half-blood."

"What monster, father? Is it wreaking havoc?"

"No not that I'm aware of. But it is very dangerous. I have my suspicions that the titans want to capture it to use it against us."

"Do you mean..."

"Yes, dear. I am talking about the Ophiotaurus. You must capture it and bring it back to Olympus. If the titans get a hold of it, I'm afraid it might be the doom of us all."

Artemis paled, "Understood father. My hunters and I will depart immediately."

******

Currently, Artemis and her hunters were in Florida.

She mentally cursed as she was having difficulty tracking down the monster. If it traveled on land the mission would have been no problem. But a monster in the sea... that was a whole different story. Not to mention there were barely any leads to go by.

After a day of no progress, she allowed her hunters to set up camp.

*****

Thalia didn't know what to expect. She thought being part of the hunt meant more excitement but so far, it's been quite uneventful. Though, the hunters were very welcoming and took quite a liking to her. Zoe and Phoebe spent the day showing her and Bianca the ropes.

She liked it there. In fact, she felt more at home with the hunt than she ever did at camp. Of course, she loved all her friends but it was different. She was literally stuck as a tree for most of her life and everyone had grown without her. She felt left behind. With the hunters, she felt like she could finally be herself and take things slowly at her own pace.

Not to mention she was extremely unprepared. Days after she woke up from being a tree the prophecy about the child of the big three was revealed to her. She knew out of all of them Percy was the best candidate.

*****

After the hunters had set up camp and ate dinner they were ordered to retire to bed. Zoe and Phoebe shared a tent.

Phoebe sat in her bed hugging her knees while watching Zoe unpack the rest of her things. "Hey Zoe?" she called out.

The lieutenant looked up from what she was doing, "Yeah?"

"What do you remember from when we went to Mount Othrys?"

"Well, not much considering I was knocked out after holding the sky." Zoe chuckled. Noticing her friend's serious expression she asked, "What's wrong? What's bothering you."

Phoebe didn't know how to approach the subject, "Well you remember after the train exploded and we were watching Percy. I told you that maybe you were convincing yourself of something that didn't really happen-

"Don't worry Phoebe. It's in the past. I-

"No! What I'm trying to say is that I think you're right." Zoe was left speechless.

"That's quite sudden don't you think? You were so adamant in believing that I was fooling myself. What changed?"

Phoebe sighed, "After you passed out Percy caught the sky so it wouldn't crush you. We were left to defend ourselves against Dr. Thorn and Atlas. We were defeated quite easily actually. Everyone was knocked out and I was the last one left. Atlas had his hold on me but Percy...he saved me. I don't know how but the things he did...I've never seen a demigod wield such power."

"Phoebe, that's hardly proof."

"But you should've seen it. We have seen Percy control his powers and he has great potential, but they were nowhere near that level. He even created an electric current. I've only seen one other son of Poseidon replicate the moves that he did. "

Zoe was shocked and hope began to fill her, "Have you told anyone else?"

The daughter of Ares shook her head, "I doubt anyone would believe me. Do you think anyone else knows?"

"I believe some of the gods might. Especially lord A," she said not saying his full name to not get his attention.

"Why do you think that?"

"As I've said many things haven't made sense lately. There are holes in my memory and some things that have been said to have happened didn't. And when Percy fainted the first time, I was in the tent with Lord A and Percy called out "Arty" in his sleep. And the day before we left for the quest he called out "Artemis" in his sleep."

"What?! Why didn't you say anything?"

"Well, I did try. You didn't particularly listen." Phoebe slightly looked down in shame. "It's ok. Don't beat yourself over it. I don't think I would've believed you either if you were the one to tell me. Anyway, I confronted Lord A about it once and he completely denied it."

"What should we do now?" Phoebe questioned.

"For now nothing." Phoebe looked incredulous.

"Nothing?"

"Think about it. Other than that we have no proof and we hardly know anything about the situation. Lord A could just deny it again. And it also seems like my lady knows nothing about it. If Lord A knows something this important, he must be keeping it a secret for a reason."

********

A figure emerged from the shadows.

"Thorn," Orion called out without turning around.

"You don't look very good," the monster mocked.

The demigod growled, "He did this to me! And sent me out here to do his work!" The left side of his face had been unrecognizable. Bone could be seen protruding from what wasn't covered by burnt flesh. His right ear was ripped off and his pinkies were also sliced off."

The manticore rolled his eyes, "You will heal. Bear it just a bit longer, Orion. We will get our revenge soon."

Orion's anger subsided, "You kept something from me!" Thorn eyed him in confusion. "That boy!"

Thorn's eyes widened in the realization of who he was referring to and snarled, "I didn't know. I first met him when I tried to capture Hades' children. I didn't notice the resemblance until later on. But I thought it was just that. I was proven wrong at the mountaintop. He only got the best of me because he caught me off guard, but I won't let it happen again."

"So, it is him. Damn that asshole! Always there to ruin my plans! I could've had Artemis-

He was cut off by the manticore's scorpion tail aimed at his neck. "You disobeyed me, Orion. I told you no harm shall befall the goddess. She is important to our plans in more ways than one. But you didn't listen. This is your last warning. Otherwise, this punishment will be the last of your worries."

The demigod gulped in fear and nodded in submission.

A/N: oh secrets are beginning to unravel.

Anyway sorry for the short chapter.

But tell me what you think? Did you like the rewrites?

More chapters coming soon