Introductions Again

Hey guys...I am so, so sorry, I actually do acknowledge that I am a terrible person for taking so long - don't worry, I hate me too -  I am going to try to finish this story so don't give up on me yet. As per usual I don't own The Musketeers but I wish I did and last but not least...ENJOY PLEASE!!! Xox

Chapter 4

The Musketeers and D'Artagnan stayed with Lady Silveress all through the night. They had planned to stay stationed at her windows and door so all the entrances were covered, but they soon discovered that Bridget either could not or would not sleep, and they all converged around the bed and spoke until the sun came up.

When Bridget noticed the sun's rays warming her back she rolled her shoulders, sat up ram-rod straight with her feet tucked under her and asked brightly, "What's our plan for today then?"

Everyone looked to Athos who sighed a deep and weary sort of sigh as if to say I hate you people but I will sort this out and put up with you because occasionally you are vaguely amusing before beginning. "Clearly your cousin knows you are here so I believe it would be in your best interests to take and keep you somewhere he would never expect as soon as possible. The only question is...where?"

Bridget nodded and looked around at the other men. Porthos spoke up, "She could stay with one of us?".

"No." Athos and Aramis petitioned at once, "That's exactly what they will be on guard for." Athos reasoned.

"But perhaps that is the best option." D'Artagnan offered, looking at his comrades, "It's like...hiding her in plan sight. It's so obvious that taking her in is exactly the last thing they will be expecting us to do and one of us can keep an eye on her constantly."

The Musketeers all turned to look at Athos who was regarding D'Artagnan with a look of almost shocked respect. "I guess that has a sort of sick, twisted logic to it." he conceded. D'Artagnan grinned widely. "And following that logic she should stay with you D'Artagnan."

"What...why?"

A smirk came over Athos' face, "Because you are, how do I put this nicely, the most inexperienced of us all and clearly the least well equipped to take care of Lady Silveress. They will never suspe-"

"Ahem" came a cough from behind the men who had risen from the bed during their conversation. They all turned to look to the young Noble who had stood as well, "Need I remind any of you fine gentlemen that Lady Silveress can take care of herself." She arched an eyebrow to Athos who immediately quickened and nodded shallowly in response. Bridget smiled and turning to D'Artagnan said, "Well then, Looks like you've been stuck with me. Shall we head on?"

*****

D'Artagnan took Lady Silveress to his favourite place, and person, in Paris. The humble abode of Madame Constance Bonacieux.

Bridget stood smiling outside of the Bonacieux house, "It's a lovely place," she sighed, "I much prefer this to the castle if I'm honest. That place was much too...stifling."

"Of course, my lady," agreed D'Artagnan, not understanding the English woman at all. Bridget smiled at him in a thankful sort of way that suggested she knew he disagreed but was thankful for the show of support anyway.

He walked ahead of her into the quaint little house, calling out as he did, "Constance, are you home? I need to speak with you."

"Are you sure that's all you need to do with me?" Came a woman's reply.

A young woman's head rounded the doorway directly in front of them two. The woman in question was very beautiful with rosy cheeks, perfectly curled hair that looked almost red when the sun caught it and a small mischievous smile on her lips. The aforementioned smile was quickly replaced by a thin embarrassed line of lips and her relaxed easy posture was quickly replaced with a ram-rod straight stature as the young woman realised there was not the desired one visitor but two.

D'Artagnan chuckled to himself and reached an arm out gesturing to the young woman ahead of him, "Constance please meet Lady Silveress. She is the new charge of the Musketeers during her visit here from England."

Constance quickly ducked her head in an embarrassed greeting, "How do you do." She mumbled bowing at ninety degrees.

Bridget giggled softly and reached out a hand to Constance, "It's a pleasure to meet you. D'Artagnan couldn't stop talking about the whole way here." As Constance bashfully shook the nobles hand the younger of the two turned to the man behind them and mock whispered, "You were right when you said she was charming."

It was D'Artagnan's turn to blush as Bridget returned her attention back to Constance and winked.

"Now I know we just met and I'm sure we'll become friends soon enough but I'm afraid I have rather a large favour to ask of you..."

*****

Porthos, Athos and Aramis were waiting in the courtyard of the Musketeer headquarters when D'Artagnan arrived late in the afternoon. Athos was  carefully inspecting his sword while Porthos and Aramis sat close together on a bench whispering and giggling to each other. Knowing them they were most likely plotting something that would very likely get everyone into a lot of trouble.

This suspicion of D'Artagnan's was confirmed as Athos have the two a withering glare and very softly mumbled, "No."

"Spoil sport."

The three men then noticed D'Artagnan's return.

"So how'd it go?" Aramis enquired.

"Constance agreed to let Lady Silveress stay and as soon as she saw the bed she almost collapsed onto it. I suppose the lack of sleep caught up to her."

"So she is asleep." Athos asked D'Artagnan.

"Yes, I thought it would be awfully rude to wake her."

Athos stood, "At the Bonacieux house."

"Obviously."

"With Constance."

"That was implied."

"Only Constance."

"Yes."

"With a murderer on the loose."

"Ah..."

*****

Francis was a simple merchant and things rarely happened to him if they were exciting or interesting in any way and so he thought he would always remember the day when four of the King's Musketeers ran past him like mad men. For they ran so ridiculously that one fell over a barrel at Mrs Novielle's and managed to drag the whole stall with him as he hit the ground. Another returned to help him up and they ran off again after their comrades dragging Mrs Novielle's finest silk behind them.