The English Visitor

Just to clarify I do not own any version of The Musketeers story, especially not the one used as the inspiration for this story, I believe that belongs to the BBC. Enjoy my first attempt at a fan fiction or any sort of writing. Please leave any comments or suggestions. Xox

Chapter 1

D'Artagnan, Aramis, Porthos and Athos were all gathered in front of Captain Treville. They had been summoned at a thoroughly anti-social hour to meet with him and weren't quite sure what they were there for, although there were many possible reasons of course, as always.

"My apologies," began Treville, "about the time, but apparently we have a matter of great importance that requires our attention." The Captain stated fixing his men with his typically cold stare.

"We're sorry," interrupted Porthos, "We didn't know what would happen if the horse-"

"What?"

"Oh...never mind." Porthos looked at his shoes and received a sharp knock to the back of the head from Aramis for his troubles.

"Anyway..." The Captain continued sparing a slight frown for Porthos ,"As you know the King is receiving a visit from a member of the nobility in England, to decide whether a peace treaty would be an agreeable arrangement." The soldiers nodded, clearly unsure as to where this conversation was leading but relieved that it indicated they were not in trouble as they originally assumed. "We previously assumed the aforementioned member of the nobility would have their own protection detail. This seems to have been a misunderstanding. They are currently just off the shore and are expecting a fully briefed security team when they arrive. You will take this task and you had better do it well, for the fate of France, and indeed your own, depends on the success of their stay. If you fail or they are not satisfied, you will surely face the wrath of our King."

"Wrath pfft..." scoffed Aramis under his breath. Treville studiously ignored this.

"We shall do our best, Sir." replied Athos.

"See that you do." said the Captain.

"Really, how hard can it be to babysit some poncy Englishman?" commented D'Artagnan, to the agreement of both Prothos and Aramis, "I think we can manage it." He added. The Musketeers and D'Artagnan turned to leave and begin their new task.

"Oh, Porthos? Aramis?"

"Yes?" They inquired turning back.

"We will sort out this drunken-horse-vegetable-cart-rampage issue later, understood?"

"Yes, Sir." They answered, bowing and making a hasty retreat with sheepish smiles upon their faces.

*****

The Musketeers and D'Artagnan had been standing beside the carriage for what seemed like a lifetime, yet there was still no sign of the Noble they were assigned to watch over.

"Of course he keeps us waiting, of bloody course!" exclaimed Porthos, "I think I might impale myself just for something to do."

"Could I do it?" asked Aramis, "That way we'll both be entertained."

"Then what am I supposed to do?" questioned D'Artagnan.

"It's like working with children." muttered Athos.

"What was that?"

"I said, have patience," Athos replied evenly, "I'm sure they'll arrive soon enough."

As soon as Athos finished his sentence they spotted a ship sailing into the port with the unmistakable Union Jack flying from it. It was a pretty impressive ship and was quite ornately decorated, so presumably not kitted out for a violent attack on France from the harbour.