Chapter 38 - Hellmore

Katelyn walked like one condemned. Any resistance was met immediately by force and, having seen their force unleashed upon Sammy, she knew well that she couldn't chance either of their lives any further. So, she kept her head down. She kept moving, following her captors into the heart of the gorge; dragging her feet through the dust and dirt of the long, winding path. It proved a hard task, given how much she wanted to run in the opposite direction.

But she couldn't abandon Sammy. Not now.

She still hadn't seen him. Was he alright? How badly was he hurt? Were they still hurting him? Her attempts to turn and search were answered by a slap around the head. Her captors pushed her, hard enough to send her stumbling. She’d gnawed on her lip until she tasted blood. Her head throbbed. Her legs tensed and ached. But she didn't cry. She couldn't. She didn't want to give them any more reason to think she was weak.

Not that she was...or ever had been. Snare knew that better than anyone. He'd lost a limb by her own hand. That had to count for something.

Some time later, the train of men came to an abrupt halt and Katelyn's captors tightened their hold on her. She tried to shrug them off, but they only slapped her again. She winced, just as Snare shouted, "Raise the gate!"

Her curiosity, once more proving a nuisance, caused her to look up and her mouth immediately dropped.

Hellmore's gateway was as scarred as it was massive; its stones scorched black by old flames and discoloured by the weather. Originally, it must have been as tall as its towers, mighty and majestic. Now, the top half had completely collapsed, its wooden supports exposed to the elements. Along the crumbling curtain wall, she saw two figures in black appear.

"Who goes there?" shouted one with a spear in hand. Katelyn heard Snare exclaim and curse bitterly.

"It's Snare," he cried, but the men must have had trouble hearing him. "Come again!" they shouted.

"It's Gareth Snare. Gods be damned! Raise the gate and let us in!" his voice thundered, echoing off the great mountain around them, and the two guardsmen jumped into action. Katelyn snickered, amused by the whole scene.

Then, there was an almighty bang and she jumped out of her skin. The men by her side chuckled, satisfied by her reaction. Before her, the spiked portcullis started to rise; creaking and cracking as if it would sooner shatter than move another inch. She shuddered, her heart racing. All at once, the despair of a thousand men came crashing down upon her, like a monstrous wave on the shore. How many had passed under this same gate, she wondered, knowing they were soon to meet their makers?

How many wondered if they'd feel the warmth and life of the eclipsed sun again, if they'd see their loved ones? 

Katelyn, then, like a coward, started to pull back; her head shaking. For so long, this had been her destination, the place where the fate of her father, of her kingdom would be decided. But now that she was here, she wanted to go home. She wanted her mother, to be surrounded by her familiar trappings and belongings. She wanted to go home.

Snare was in her face suddenly, looking very amused. "Is our little princess...afraid of the big bad castle?" His tone was childish and mocking.

Katelyn scowled at him, refusing to answer, but it was enough to make him laugh. He grabbed her arm, her captors falling back, and pulled her towards the castle. They passed under the half raised gate, finding themselves in a large and crowded yard. She quickly surveyed the place, quite amazed by it all.

Much of the castle had been tarnished and painted black by the heat of the flames. In the nooks and crannies of the crumbling walls grew thorn bushes and tall, climbing ivy that had now greyed from lack of light and water.  There was no glass in any of the windows, just pieces of fabric. As if they could keep out a bitter wind, she thought distastefully. Small, black birds flew in and out of the empty towers.