The Stranger

Chapter 3

     The Stranger

     "When are we stopping for food?" Lyra asked for what I counted as the twelfth time. In one hour! She was driving me insane! If she weren't injured and innocent I would have killed her by now.

"After night fall." I growled through gritted teeth. She was about to say something else until I pulled out one of my swords and pointed it at her. "Say something related to stopping this horse and I will cut out your tongue."

Lyra's mouth closed instantly. After she had convinced me to take her with us we argued about whether or not I should wear a dress. I obviously was against it but it was just logical. I had my normal outfit underneath with my swords over the dress covered by my black cloak. The hilts were also black so they blended right in. "Why don't you leave her alone we're not used to living like you."

"If you insist on coming with me you live like I do with no complaints. We can't afford to stop when we're tracking an assassin. He has less weight and most likely more training than I do. How old did he look to you Lyra?" I asked.

"I don't know maybe twenty to twenty three years old." Lyra guessed. "He really was well muscled though." She said in an awed tone.

"Please tell me you aren't growing an attraction to him." I begged. "He tried to kill you and falling in love with assassins can lead your life to ruin. That and if he is the age you say you are twenty to thirty years his senior." I muttered the last part.

"Is this from personal experience?" Jax asked while looking at me with a thoughtful gaze.

"Yes, my mother fell in love with my father and she was targeted by enemies of my father all the time. She was lucky to get out when she did." I explained.

"What happened to her?" Jax asked.

"She died in childbirth." I said.

"Oh," He said. "I am sorry."

"Don't be I am perfectly fine without her. From the stories my father has told me she was weak and only would have made me soft."

"How can you say something like that?! She was your mother. She gave birth to you!" Jax yelled.

"Yes, and then she died. What do you expect me to do? Mope because I never met my mother? I was done moping when I was ten. Now I think of her as a nuisance." Before Jax could say anymore I heard the rumbling of wheels coming from behind us. "Shh." I warned as I pulled up my hood to cover my swords.

"What do you hear?" Jax whispered. I put a finger to my lips to silence him. Seconds later he heard it too.

"Keep walking." I whispered back. My hands were gripping Misty's halter and pulling her along. As the carriage got closer I stayed calm and hoped the owner wouldn't see us walking and stop for us. Unfortunately luck wasn't on my side as I heard the carriage stopping.

"Do you need a ride?" Someone called from behind us. I stopped and cringed.

I turned and smiled. "I don't think that's necessary, but thank you sir." I turned back around to keep walking.

"I insist. A lady should not need to walk when a carriage is open to her, and the lady on the horse looks hungry too. I know a place not far from here where you can rest. Let me give you a ride." The man urged. He seemed a bit too persistent to me.

Jax gently grabbed my arm. "What harm could it do. Get in the carriage I'll tie Misty on and sit with the driver. Get off your feet for a bit."

"Do you know how many men I was able to kill when they thought it couldn't do any harm. I have gone for days with no rest. A few hours isn't going to harm me."