Chapter 42

Chapter 42

       The competition was starting to get more and more nerve-wracking as the rounds passed by. D.A.N.C.E did extremely well during the female solo and the group round,especially during the group round because less than half of the teams made it through that round. The group round went from twenty-five dancers to only eight moving on to the duet round.

       Whenever only half were to go through, studios were paired up against each other and the higher score would move on. When less than half were going through, they calculated all the scores and the highest scores moved on.

       D.A.N.C.E just made it through to the duet round, and now that it had to be cut down to four teams, the studios were paired up against each other.

       We were paired up against the studio that had won every year for the past five years, so I was feeling extremely nervous.

       "Rhys, you seriously have nothing to worry about," Zayden tried reassuring me as I was waiting for Echo to finish getting into her costume. "The highest they scored on the duet round was ninety-five. You and Echo scored a ninety-eight."

       "Yeah, but that was a different dance," I said. "I have no idea how the judges are going to react to the choreography this round, and it all depends how in sync we are and if I even mess up...."

      "Seriously, stop worrying," Zayden said. "I watched this duet and honestly, it's way better than your last one, and even the first one the two of you performed together. In fact, it is probably the best duet I had ever seen, and I'm not saying that just because you're my brother and I'm trying to bring your confidence up. I'm saying it as a dancer trying to critique you. There's just nothing to critique though."

       "I still think part of you is saying it because you're my brother," I said.

       Zayden sighed, but then his face lit up as if he had an idea. "Just out of curiosity, have you told Echo that you love her yet?"

       "What makes you think I love her?" I asked.

       "Uh, the fact that you told me when you were trying to make me feel better about being broken up with," Zayden said. "So, have you told her?"

       I shook my head.

       "Perfect," Zayden said with a smile. "Tell her before you perform."

       "What? No way. What if she doesn't feel the same way?"

       "Dude, you've been dating for how long? Six months? I'm pretty sure she feels the same way."

       "It's still not an easy thing saying," I said.

       "Then imagine her as bacon. You love bacon, right?"

       "Your advice is just horrible today, Zay. I'm not saying it."

       "You want the dance to be strong? Tell her, and your chemistry will be as strong as ever. If not, then prepare to fail and be sent home."

       "Seriously, shut up. Your advice isn't doing me any good."

       Zayden just shrugged, as Echo walked into the backstage area, now wearing her costume. And like always, she looked gorgeous.

       "You look gorgeous," I told her.

       Echo smiled. "Thanks, Rhys."

       "Ugh, couples, barf," Zayden said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go into the audience. I wish you two the best of luck." He wiggled his eyebrows towards me before leaving to head into the audience.