Cassie's lips parted as she stared at the madman before her. He was feeding on them. He was using their fear and sorrow to make himself stronger. And when he had his fill, he'd be free.

"We can't let him into the real world, Cassie," Sam whimpered, snapping out of her sorrow at those words. The madness around them would only be the beginning if they did.

Cassie knew that. She knew that with every fiber of her being, but what were they supposed to do about it? How could she possible beat something she didn't even understand?

The Taker silently watched her once more, a grim curiosity in his eyes. "But you should already know this, little Betweener. You walk the dreams as well as any of your kind. They should have taught you better than this by now." He stepped closer still, staring down at her. "Why are you so ignorant of the ways?"

"Do you know who I am?" The words left Cassie's mouth before she could stop them. Surely there was a price to gaining wisdom from the devil.

He shook his head, strands of stringy hair sticking to his face. "I know who you're supposed to be. Though they led us to believe you were no longer alive. I see now your mother simply hid you away. And, because of that, she hasn't been raising you right. Not at all." He turned away with a sigh. "Pity. I smell potential on you. You made your way here, after all, and all without any guidance. And you even managed to bring a guest. That's hard to do for even the skilled." He leaned against the glass, a thought dancing behind his eyes. "Yes, powerful indeed. I can train you properly, little Cassandra. Stay here with me and learn from the master."

Cassie shook her head, backing away from the excitement in his dark eyes. The thought of owning her thrilled him to no end. "No, you're a monster. Why would I want to learn anything you have to teach? I won't have anything to do with you."

He threw his head back, rage flowing from every pore. The hallway shook and the kids screamed, their madness delighting in the fury flowing freely around them. "Who are you to turn me down?" he spat out as he drew back, his long frame growing until it took up the whole hallway in front of her. He hunched over, his back hitting the ceiling as he glared down at the girl. "I am a God! I am this whole town's God and I will be worshipped!" He glanced over her shoulder with a laugh, his huge face smiling as his eyes burned into her. "You've woken the pet with your insolence. You shouldn't get me in such a rage, Cassandra. It has consequences you might not want to pay."

Cassie pulled her eyes away from the Taker's vast form, deliberately turning her back on him. It was another act of defiance and she wasn't sure she'd live through it, but she wouldn't submit to him. Ever. And he needed to understand that.

Her eyes darted past Sam down the long hallway. The bald, white thing crawled across the ceiling, its every movement was unhurried, its sightless face enjoying every agonizing second its steps caused. Its intentions were clear. It was headed straight for Sam.

She jumped up, terror on her face as she turned to face Riley. She knew there was nothing she could do to save herself or the boy she'd come to the dream world for, but she wouldn't leave this life without saying what she'd always wanted to, what she'd always been too scared to admit to. It didn't matter if he understood her or not. "Riley," she said softly, drawing his attention.

The boy turned, his eyes settling on her for a moment. His hands stilled and he waited even as his mind couldn't comprehend what he was waiting for.

Sam leaned forward, sighing as she laid her forehead against the glass, the harsh breathing of the creature even closer still. It was now or never. "I...I love you, Riley."

Riley's eyes widened as his body shook. "Sam," he gasped, his voice a rough croak as he woke from the madness. "No. What are you doing here?" He hurried to the wall separating them. "You can't be here. He'll hurt you." He raised his hand against the glass and Sam followed, her hand against his, though the cell kept them apart. His eyes darted up above her head. "No, Sam. Run. That thing can't have you. Not you."