C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y

Start from the beginning

"I know who killed Fox and Jessica. At least, I think I know."

Raven gaped, but when Fletcher turned around she made sure her expression went back to normal. She grabbed Teony's wrist, pulling her a little to the side. "Tell me later, this isn't the right place."

"No, we're spread out enough." Usually, Teony wasn't one to rush things but she knew if she was right, she had to tell everybody. "Nobody will be able to hear."

Raven was unsure at first, but then reluctantly gave in. "Fine. Go ahead."

Teony sighed, nervous to what Raven's response would be. "I think it's Fletcher."

Raven gasped, shocked. "Why Fletcher? He's been nothing but loyal and kind to all of us."

"Think about it; he volunteered to go up in the attic. Maybe he said something or did something that killed Fox. He also found and opened the chamber where Marisa was later killed. He 'saved' Marisa after he was the one to put her in danger in the first place. He was in the same place Trevor almost died. It all fits."

Raven could hardly believe her. "I don't think Fletcher would hurt anybody. He's too nice."

"Mr. Barla was nice, too. And look at us now."

Raven couldn't believe Teony, blaming one of their friends for murder. She was acting so unlike herself she didn't know if it was real or not. "Teony, you're being ridiculous. I trust Fletcher, he would never stab our backs."

"I'm just saying that the evidence does point to him."

"It's not him. You're overthinking it. If anything, it's Jackson. He was with Marisa and Fletcher as well when Fletcher saved her. He was the one that said the torture charm anyways. But I'm not going to blame anybody until I get clear evidence." Teony held her tongue, and Raven didn't say another word. True, Teony agreed with Raven in not believing he would betray them, but she couldn't ignore the evidence. She hated to point fingers to her friend, but she had no choice.

It just worked too well.

"You don't have to agree with me, Raven, but I'm just trying to help."

They said nothing after that. Teony kept her eyes on Fletcher, conflicting thoughts floating through her brain as he helped Trevor walk up the rest of the stairs. She wanted to trust him, she really did.

But she couldn't ignore the fact that Fletcher was the one that suggested they look on the third floor.

They finally reached the third floor, and Rafe finally let Trevor off of her shoulders. He leaned on the wall as she massaged her shoulder, trying to make it less stiff. They were in a long hallway that lead to many more, but they couldn't tell exactly how many because of the lack of light. They were lucky that it was daytime so a little light shined through the windows.

"Pairs checking each room?" Fletcher suggested, and everybody but Teony and Raven agreed. Raven and Teony exchanged looks before Raven took one of the rooms with Fletcher. She needed to show that Fletcher was innocent, even if it was risky. Teony walked down the hall and went with Ella. Rafe and Trevor went to the furthest room down the hallway, and Damien and Jackson reluctantly took another.

The group split up amongst the rooms, and started searching.

***

Raven and Fletcher entered their room, leaving the door propped open behind them. It wasn't a special room at all, just another classroom. It looked fairly new with no cobwebs whatsoever and a clean chalkboard. They walked towards the center of the room, checking in drawers.

"Fletcher," said Raven. Fletcher responded without looking up, still rummaging through his drawer.

"Yeah?"

Raven did the same, keeping her eyes down. "Some people think that you killed Jessica and Fox."

Fletcher looked up, gaping. "What? Why?"

"Apparently the evidence points to you more than anyone else. How you found the hidden passage in the basement and how you volunteered to go up in the attic."

Fletcher couldn't believe it. He thought everybody trusted him, but apparently he was wrong. "And do you agree?"

"Of course not! I trust you, I know you wouldn't hurt any one of us."

Fletcher nodded, but he was still angry and upset. He tried to distract himself by searching the room and keeping his mouth shut, but it kept bothering him. Why didn't people trust him? He had done nothing wrong, and he definitely wouldn't hurt anybody. Not his friends.

Raven and Fletcher continued searching, but were dissatisfied when all they found was a rotting apple. They were about to give up at that point.

Then, a scream came across the third floor.

Teony's scream.

As soon as Raven heard it, she ran from her room and into Teony and Ella's as fast as her legs could take her, but it still wasn't fast enough for her liking. When she was running she heard Ella scream as well so she went even faster. She was the first person to enter the room, followed by Fletcher, then Rafe and Trevor.

As soon as she saw it, she almost screamed as well. In front of them laid a skeleton that looked like it had been there for a hundred years. In the broken hand loosely held a shell of a quill, and a rusted knife next to it. Everybody gasped at the horrid image.

"Is that," Rafe started, but Trevor finished her sentence. 

"Theodore."

§