Chapter Nine: Winn Schott Is An Idiot

"Please don't yell at me, this isn't my job." I laughed as Winn tried to fill in for Kara and failed miserably. All of a sudden, papers wooshed around his desk an dKara appeared, the phone in her hand.

"Cat Grant's office, this is Kara."

"Please do not make me cover phones for you ever again." Winn begged. I chuckled.

"She did! That's amazing!" Winn walked over, leaning on his desk beside me. I bumped my shoulder against his, smiling.  He shook his head. Kara hung up the phone.

"Ms. Grant won the Siegel Prize for Women in Media!" She exclaimed.

"Oh yeah, she already knows. I didn't know that she could smile if it wasn't based on cruelty to others. Or, that Sarah has won it the past two years." 

"Four years." James corrected, walking past us.

"Sarah! That's amazing!" Kara told me. I shrugged.

"It's no big thing. I didn't even want it. They just kept giving to me."

"The ceremony is in Metropolis tomorrow night. I better book a plane right away." She sat down at her desk and I turned to Winn.

"It's kind of a big thing." He muttered. I shrugged again.

"I have a delivery for a...Sarah Kingsley?" I turned around to see a delivery guy wielding a vase of daisies...my favorite flowers. Who know that?  I walked over to him, signing for them.

"Thank you." I took them back to my desk, setting the vase down.

"Nice flowers." Winn said, rolling in his chair over to me. "Who are they from?" I grabbed the card.

I thought of roses initially, but you seem to be a girl of unique tastes. I also have a feeling that we got off on the wrong foot. Have dinner with me? My phone number's on the back of this card, and I will be eagerly awaiting your response. 

-Captive buddy

I chuckled.

"Maxwell Lord." I told him. He furrowed his eyebrows. "He is asking me out."

"Are you gonna go?" I smiled, smelling one of the daises.

"I don't know...maybe." It hadn't occurred to me that I was grinning like an idiot and couldn't seem to stop.

"He's a known Supergirl discourager. That'd be like me going out with, say, Leslie Willis." I raised my eyebrows.

"That's a bit of an exaggeration." I replied, "Besides...I'm young, I'm single now. I deserve a little romance in my life."

"Not with him!"  He exclaimed.

"No offense, Winn, but I'm not really seeing how who I go out with is any of your business. Unless you can give me a plausible reason why I shouldn't go out with him, I'm gonna call him and accept." He opened his mouth, and I could tell something was at the back of his throat, wanting to come out. I looked into his eyes and saw the emotion that he was trying so desperately to hide. 

Winn Schott likes me.

I had noticed he wasn't as love-struck over Kara as he used to be, but I thought he was just moving on. I didn't think...

"I...you-you're right. It's none of my business." I put a hand on his shoulder, watching as his breath caught in his throat. 

"No. I'm sorry. If you've got something important to say, you can tell me." He looked up at me and swallowed.

"I don't. It's not important." He turned back, and suddenly I found myself getting irritated. Why won't he just tell me?

"So, you don't mind if I call and accept Max's invitation then?" He shook his head.

"Not at all. You do you, boo." He said dryly and nervously. I bit my lip, grabbing the card and dialing Max's number.

"I was hoping you'd call." He said.  I smiled.

"Daises." I replied.

"Lucky guess?"

"The luckiest. Those are my favorite flower." 

"Is that enough to win me a date with the most beautiful girl in National City."

"Flattery will get you nowhere Mr. Lord. But yes, I am calling to accept the invitation."

"Perfect. How about I pick you up at seven tonight?" I nodded.

"Seven tonight. It's a date. I'll text you my address." I looked down at Winn, who was staring straight ahead, his jaw clenched, like I'd seen him do whenever Kara was with James. I instantly felt bad, but if he wasn't going to man up and tell me how he felt, then I was gonna go out with someone who will. "I have a date tonight."

"So I heard."

"You're sure there's nothing you wanna tell me?" He shook his head, still not looking up at me.

"Nope. Have fun on your date." I sighed.

"Will do." I left the bullpen, walking to the bathroom.

Winn Schott is an idiot.

~~~Winn~~~

Idiot, Idiot, Idiot!

Now I'm going to relive the Kara situation twice because I can't buck up at tell Sarah that I like her. I do. I like her a lot.

I'm finally over Kara, and now the reason that I'm over her is going on a date with a handsome, billionaire, scientist.

Thus is my life.

~~~Sarah~~~

Winn and I had been avoiding each other all day, which was hard to do considering we had desks right beside each other. Five o'clock came around, and I stood up, getting my purse.

"So I'm leaving now...to go on my date...with Maxwell Lord." He nodded.

"Have fun." He said, not looking up at me. I sighed.

"Are you mad at me or something?" He shook his head.

"No. Of course not." I put a hand on the back of his chair, turning it towards me.  He looked up at me.

"Do not lie to me Winn Schott. Why are you mad at me?" I asked. He sighed, raking a hand through his hair.

"I'm not mad at you. I just...I don't understand why you're going out with him, after all the stuff he's said about Supergirl in the past.  Yeah he's handsome, and personable, and rich-"

"You think that's why I'm going out with him?"  He shook his head.

"No! No, no, no. That's not-I didn't...that wasn't what I meant." I sighed.

"Fine." I grabbed my phone, dialing his number.

"Wha-what are you doing?" He asked.

"Cancelling my date."

"Really?" I nodded, pressing my phone to my ear.

"Twice in one day. I am a lucky man." 

"Yeah...not so much. I'm cancelling our date."

"Can I ask why?"

"I was reminded that you don't take so kindly to my superhero friend, so out of pure loyalty, I cannot go out with you. I'm sorry, really I am."

"That's alright. I ask you to reconsider, but the choice is obviously yours." I nodded, and he hung up. I hung up too, slapping my phone down onto my desk. Winn looked awestruck.

"So, my plans fell through. You wanna hang out?"