Chapter 3- Ellesméra

Nasuada paced the room, her impatience building with each stride. Three days had passed since she sent a message to Queen Arya, informing her of the terrible news, and yet still she had heard no word from the elves. Had Eragon returned? Did they have a plan? Nasuada couldn’t think of a single rescue attempt that wouldn’t inevitably put Eragon’s life in grave danger. But it was her duty as Queen to protect the people of Alagaësia. She heard the door open and turned around expectantly, hoping to see one of her messengers. Although it was not, she couldn’t help smiling a little despite herself as he paced across the room towards her, reaching out to her and running his hands over her hair as he held her close to him.

“Every day you worry more for your kingdom. I wish that you would not, it will all be ok soon enough.” He murmured softly.

“But how can I not fear? An unknown force from the North threatens my people. And Elva. What will Eragon say when he hears that they have taken Elva?”

She looked up at Murtagh, the anger for her people flashing in her eyes, but her face softened as she saw the concern sketched across his face.

“You forget,” he said, raising her chin with his finger, “this time you have a charming young rider and his magnificent red dragon to help you.” He smiled teasingly. Nasuada pushed his chest playfully and then took his hand in hers,

“Would you fly to Ellesméra? It has been three days and we have heard nothing from the Elves. My people grow impatient not knowing what will happen, there is even talk that Eragon has abandoned Alagaësia!”

“Of course he hasn’t, he’ll come soon enough.” Replied Murtagh, worry filling him as he considered flying to the Elven city. Many still doubted his allegiances since the fall of Galbatorix, and although Nasuada had persuaded most that he had been under a spell and was indeed loyal, many of the elves were still deeply suspicious of him when he returned to Alagaësia a year ago.

“All the same,” pleaded Nasuada, “It would bring great comfort to me to know.”

“But you know they do not approve of me,” he responded, and felt Thorn share in his apprehension to entering Du Weldenvarden. The huge red dragon was enjoying a morning sheep, which he had sneakily stolen off one of the local farms and was now happily chewing on the leg of the poor creature. Murtagh let out a sigh as he thought of the hassle the farmers would no doubt give him,

They won’t notice one small sheep, hummed Thorn who was clearly very pleased with himself, and don’t worry about visiting the elves, anyone who so much as thinks a dark though about you will see my wrath, Thorn growled protectively. Murtagh let out a chuckle, Thank you friend, although somehow I doubt that would help our cause.

“Does Thorn mind?” Said Nasuada. Murtagh had noticed how she always recognised when he was speaking to Thorn: “It’s the mischievous smile you seem to have whenever do” she had once told him.

“No, he seems happy to go. I think he wants to stretch his wings.” Murtagh replied, “I shall go and prepare.”

“Thank you”, murmured Nasuada, kissing him swiftly before he turned and stalked out of the room, still a little agitated at having to leave.

                                                  >X<    >X<    >X<

Saphira let out a satisfied hum as she scanned the leafy green foliage beneath them. They’d be there soon, and then she could spend some more time playing with Fírnen. Yet she could sense that although he was excited to be back, Eragon was still nervous as to why they had been summoned back to Alagaësia. Don’t worry little one, they’re probably worrying about some silly fat dwarves or something of the type, nothing we couldn’t fix. He smiled, I hope so Saphira, I’m not sure I could handle another king.

            Soon Saphira spotted the clearing and began her descent, Arya and Fírnen close behind them. As they neared, Saphira and Eragon marveled at the crowds of elves who had gathered to witness their return. She hummed to herself and was pleased at having made an extra effort to polish each and every scale before they had left. I expect they’ve come to admire my magnificence, she said haughtily; Eragon couldn’t help laughing at her smugness and had to agree with her as he watched the sun glittering off her scales. They circled the ground below, sharing in their excitement as Saphira thudded down, her claws sinking lightly into the turf. Fírnen landed next to them and Eragon and Arya dismounted, walking over to great the council awaiting them.