- 14 -

Ethan's POV

"I give you so much props for taking care of them these past like what? 2-3 years?" I looked at her.

"Thanks. I can't take all the credit though. I had Cam and my parents helping me out for a while. Grayson checked in a few times. Then I got a stable job and handled everything myself. They still voluntarily came out to help, but other than that yeah. Just me and the kids."

"Daddy?" Alissa said.

"Hm?" I turned around.

"Why were you gone for so long?"

Nikki cleared her throat.

"There were too many bad guys." I sighed.

"Are they all gone now?"

"Almost."

"So are you gonna come home with us?"

Nikki kept her eyes on the road.

"Maybe. We just have to see how many bad guys there are left before I come home." I winked.

Alissa giggled.

We got to the park and the kids went wild. Nikki took a seat on the swings and watched the twins run around.

I took a seat next to her.

"What're you thinking about?" I asked.

"Nothing. Just wanted to ease my mind."

"You've been wanting to do that a lot lately. What's up?"

"We had all these dreams and our future laid out and I just dropped them. I feel bad for doing so."

It was quiet.

"Had I stayed and told you, we could've worked everything out and that future would've come true, with a few minor changes. That dream would've become a reality."

"Listen to me, you did what you felt was right."

"Did I?" she messed with her sleeves. "Our children could've had a father figure to grow up with. Their dad would've been around the apartment instead of 'being on a mission'. All this stuff could've been different. I don't know. I regret not telling you. I just wish you were there. And I'm not blaming you for anything so please don't think I am. It's all my fault."

"But we're all together now aren't we?"

"I guess." she looked at me. "Do you hate me?"

"I could never hate you. And before you say anything, I'm not just saying this because we have children together. I genuinely mean it." I paused, "let's move in together."

"What?"

"Then the kids can have a seemingly normal life."

"Ethan, I just got back. Not even half of my stuff is here." then she came to the realization of some sort, "Oh shit."

"What?"

"They haven't even started the moving process yet. I need to go back and pack everything up."

"We'll leave tomorrow."

"I can go by myself."

"No. I'm coming with you."

"Ethan."

"I'm coming. The kids can stay here with Cam or your parents or something."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

We stayed at the park longer than we both anticipated.

Nikki's POV

I drove all of us home. The kids fell asleep in the car. It wasn't that far a drive, but I guess they tired themselves out.

"We'll take the first flight out tomorrow." Ethan carried Jason into the house.

"You really don't have to come with me." I set Alissa down on the bed.

"I've missed out on too much."

"Of the kids' lives. Not mine."

We walked out of their room.

"Ethan. We're literally just packing boxes. There isn't much to miss out on. It's not that deep."

"Well... you can't do all the heavy lifting yourself."

"Is there another reason you want to come with me?"

This was so suspicious.

"I just don't want you to be alone."

"Fine. I'm actually gonna leave right now, so that I have more time to start packing everything up tomorrow. Make myself feel more responsible."

"I'll be back in 30 minutes." he smiled and left.