23. Bleacher Report

When Peter snuck back into school, he quickly changed back into his jeans and favorite science pun t-shirt. After checking the halls for a snooping principle, he slipped back into his current class while the teacher was out making copies. None of the students paid him any mind, and he fist-bumped Ned, who appeared relieved at his return. MJ raised an eyebrow as Peter massaged his sore shoulder, and continued to throughout the class.

After school, Peter thought about doing just a short patrol. Werewolf was his biggest threat as of now, and if he'd gone underground again, Peter doubted he'd make another appearance until the cops stopped searching for him. He had to figure out a way on how to separate him from the helmet. Peter figured, once he was free of it, he would return to being "kind of" good again. Sure, he wasn't the best, even before, but he was better then than he was now.

Peter walked along the football field at the front of the school, set on his task at hand. But he paused when he saw MJ sitting alone on the bleachers. She wasn't in detention like usual, so he wondered if something was up. Putting his plan on hold, he ambled over to her. She was near the top, and the bleachers were a full twelve levels, but that didn't stop him from easily leaping and catching the rail, hanging casually on the other side. She looked over to him as he heaved himself over and came over to her.

"This is a weird place to sketch people in crisis," he observed, and he heard her chuckle as she looked back down at her sketch pad.

"I just wasn't feeling it today," she replied as he sat down beside her.

He nodded in understanding, leaning forward. He glanced at her drawing, and saw that it was a werewolf, from the shoulders and up. It had broad shoulders and a big head, with pricked triangular ears. The details were very precise, and Peter admired her talent.

She glanced at him out the corner of her eye, and quickly hid her drawing.

"Why not let me see it?" Peter asked as she glared at him for spying.

"Because you haven't earned that privilege," she replied simply, flipping the page.

"So I can kiss you, but seeing your drawing is off-limits?" He questioned, not getting the logic.

"I never said you could do that either, Parker," she snapped, tossing her bangs out of her face, "it's just- they're two entirely different things."

"But you're against me kissing you?" He asked with a smirk.

"Okay, now you're just twisting my words," she sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Well, make up your mind!"

"I would if you'd stop screwing with it!"

She looked back down, and Peter tipped his head, quirking his mouth and clicking his tongue in thought. He was confused, not really sure how to respond. Had he done something to give her that impression?

"Don't do that," she then ordered, and he gave her a surprised look.

"Do what?"

"That look. Stop it."

"MJ, did I do something to upset you?" He asked, and she groaned aloud in frustration.

"That's just it. I don't think you're even aware that you're doing it," she sighed, leaving Peter with more questions than answers, "I know you're trying to get over Liz, but don't use me as a means to cope, okay? I'd rather be alone if that's what this is."

Peter was stunned. MJ thought she was a rebound? Ned had speculated the same thing, but Peter's crush on MJ started when he saw her for what she truly was. An interesting, snarky, quick-witted individual who always spoke her mind, and was genuinely a great person to hang with. She wasn't afraid to be herself, even if that did make her come off as unapproachable to some people. She was unique and clever, and so many other things Liz hadn't been, or straight up wasn't.

"MJ, it's not like that-," Peter started, but MJ was already on her feet, holding her sketchbook and staring down at him.

"You may know what my favorite color is, but you don't know why," she said, beginning to walk away, "let me know when you figure it out."

Peter wanted to chase her, but she was right, in a way. He'd have to prove that his affection was legit, and not a coping mechanism made up by his mind. He would prove it to her.

Somehow.

What's this? Another update? How uncanny! But I'm on roll today so here's another for all of you night owls. But anyway, will Peter be able to convince MJ, or will she remain steadfast? Even I don't know at this point.

Or do I?

~Fargone5