Acemark revealing.

That was something that changed since I went under. It used to be you never showed your Acemark. Unless it was in a spot like the face or neck, everyone hid it. Your Acemark was a birthmark. One saved for only the eyes of your mate. It was a special mark that connected two people. Keeping it secret made it more meaningful.

Now, Acemarks were more common. Marlee said it started when this one singer, Anonymous, put hers on her album cover. Don't know how she had the balls to do that, but she did. The prince--all grown up and hot now (trust me, I've seen the pictures)--loved the album. After that, people stopped freaking out as much.

I'm not jumping on that train. My Acemark would stay where it belongs--hidden away.

Dr. Freed nodded at my arm. "I'd bet my next year's salary that your excellent recovery is due to that Acemark of yours."

A frown took over my face. "You've seen it?" I tried not to feel...violated. He was a doctor. He should know everything about his patients. It would stay confidential--none of this would leave the room.

Would it?

"I haven't seen it myself," Freed was quick to assure, "They put a covering over it while you were in the suspension tank. But I have a few reports that tell me what it does."

I swallowed and nodded. Hopefully, those reports would stay under lock and key. "There aren't any pictures on those reports," I stated, though it was more of a question. I felt the need to have clarity on just how in-depth those reports were.

"No pictures. Just written details."

"And who has access to that information?"

Doc took off his glasses and traced his lip with one of the earpieces. "Me. Leonger. Your captain. That's all."

So my privacy hadn't been completely ignored because of my catatonic state. Good to know.

My pocket buzzed. I pulled out the phone--a sleek little flip phone I'd asked for instead of one of those intelligent phones--and glanced at the caller.

Marlee.

"Hey."

"Hi, girl!" She chirped through the line. "Commander Leonger wants us in conference room two. You know where that is?"

At this point, I knew these halls pretty well. Conference room two was on sublevel three, two doors down from the weapons room. It was an overly large room with strangely tall ceilings despite it being underground. A curved, 20 seat table took up most of the room. A projector screen, a.k.a. The big white sheet of magic, took up an entire wall.

Why anyone would need that much space for movies was beyond me. Was the future not happy with normal sized screens?

"I'll be there," I said, "Did he say when?"

"As soon as possible."

"Got it." I hung up. "Sorry Doc looks like I have to go. As much as I love our beautiful conversations..."

Dr. Freed waved me away. "Get out of here, kid."

I grinned. "I'm not a kid. I'm 34 years old."

Leaving the doctor, I descended further into the tunnels.

The door to the conference room sat wide open, the team already present and seated at the curved table. Leonger and the Captain were yet to arrive.

"I take it I'm not late?" I asked Marlee, taking the chair on her left.

Brayden had his hands behind his head. He leaned back dangerously in his chair. "You're late for being early."

I rolled my eyes. "That wasn't the most overused answer ever."

Marlee leaned closer to me and pitched her voice low. "How'd it go?"

I grinned back. "I passed."

Her face lit up and she bounced once in her chair. "Really? That's awesome! Can't wait to have you in training."

Across from me, Eva raised a brow. "And how long do you think it'll take to catch up?"

How long will it take you to stop being a cankerous bitch? I sent her a saccharine smile.

Marlee squeezed my arm. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. And the captain will be back to help train you." She wiggled her eyebrows. "He's hot. You'll like him."

Brayden scoffed, "he is not. I've got a lot on him." He flexed his right arm. "See?"

I snorted. "Yeah Marlee, how will we ever see him with Brayden here? His ego's so big it takes up the whole room."

Before Brayden could answer, the door opened. "Good, you're all here." Leonger stepped through the doorway. Behind him was a tall, muscled man.

All the nerves in my body came alive at once.

My breath caught in my throat. No. Way.

The Captain and I locked eyes.

"Fuck," I breathed.