Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

“It doesn't make any sense! Anybody can have a birth mark!”

“I haven't seen anything like...”

Elizabeth shook her head frantically, halting his flow of words. “You cannot keep me trapped in this marriage based on your speculations! Frederick, the monster, is your grandson, not Bailey!” She half yelled.

Gary took a step towards her and placed a hand on her arm. For a few seconds, he stood staring into her eyes and finding nothing in them but fear.

Gary knew that what he was asking of Elizabeth was not only silly, it was selfish. Yet, he couldn't simply let her walk away, thereby complicating things further. He had very limited time left. His health had deteriorate further and faster than he even thought was possible. He needed to know who Bailey was and whether Elizabeth liked it or not, he needed her around if he was going to find out successfully.

“I will protect you.” He began and Elizabeth shook her head, tears now falling from her eyes. “It's only for a few weeks, Lady Elizabeth. In a few weeks, I will have my answers and I will give you your freedom. But in the mean time, I will protect you from Frederick.”

“Bailey's presence here exposes him to Frederick's abuse.” She shook her head. “Bailey will not leave until I do. But here you are, asking me to do what we both know, will put Bailey's life in danger. Like you, Lord Wellington, I do not fear for myself, I fear for Bailey.”

Gary released a breath and settled on the settee once more.

“I'm dying, Lady Elizabeth.” The words flowed out of his lips. “I have lived many years, most of which have been miserable ones. I lost the woman I loved many years ago, my only son died last year wanting next to nothing to do with me, my grandson is... There are no words to describe the shame I feel when I look at Frederick. He is my failures coming to life in a person. I gave up on life many years ago. Yet, I look at Bailey...” He paused, glancing up at her. “And I all of a sudden want to live. I need to know the truth, Lady Elizabeth. I beg you to not deny me of this request.”

“Does Bailey know?” She finally asked.

Gary shook his head.

Elizabeth heaved a breath and nodded. “I will stay a while longer, until you can find out the truth.”

~ ~

Everything in Elizabeth screamed against her decision to remain long enough for Gary to find out whether or not Bailey was really his grandson.

Elizabeth stayed locked in her newly assigned room until it was time for dinner and she could no longer ignore her hunger. Rising to her feet, she made her way to the dining room where she was beyond surprised to find Frederick standing and smiling at her.

“Lady Elizabeth,” Frederick's smile broadened as she approached and took the seat opposite from him. Gary sat at the head of the table but didn't say a word.

Elizabeth noticed Frederick settle on his chair the second she was seated but she didn't raise her gaze to acknowledge him.

“You look breathtaking this evening, my dear wife.”

Tightening her hold on her spoon, Elizabeth focused on the soup before her rather than the man who sat staring at her.

“You will keep your mouth shut and eat your dinner.” Gary answered stiffly.

“Surely, I have committed no offense in finding my wife attractive.” Frederick laughed and Elizabeth wanted to haul the bowl of soup at him.

When dinner ended and Frederick didn't seem ready to make any more unsolicited remarks about Elizabeth's looks, she rose to her feet and made to leave the room.

“Good evening, Lord Wellington, I must retire now.” She smiled at Gary who simply nodded to her words.

“I will escort you.” Frederick rose to his feet.

“No need.” She turned eyes of steel to him.

“Lord Wellington,” A maid entered the room, interrupting Frederick's attempt to speak. “You have a visitor.”

“I didn't get any word that someone would visit.” Gary sounded irritated.

“We did insist that My Lord is having dinner with his family and would not like to be disturbed, but this visitor insists it is important.”

“Has he identified himself?”

“Yes, My Lord.” Just then, as the maid spoke, Elizabeth turned to leave the room, lacking the interest for whoever it was. “She is a woman and is to be referred to as Lady Chloe Wellington.”

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

Can you guys almost guess what Chloe is doing here?!

By the way, how did your day go? Did you have a good day today?