"Mm hm." Florence had rather him put on a dress shirt and some jeans at least, but he still looked well put together and his hair was freshly cut.

"Where we going anyway?" Takashi questioned.

"To a little party your grandmother is throwing. Your family and friends will be there."

The sulk on Takashi's face instantly caught Florence's attention. He wasn't mad though, Takashi didn't really know his side of the family so he knew he wasn't really feeling to go. But Florence's mother had been asking for him. She hadn't seen him since he was nine.

"Don't worry you have cousins your age and things like that too."

Man I don't give a fuck bout' none of that. Takashi thought to himself, actually wanting to say it. But instead he smiled and gripped Florence's shoulder. "I know I know Pop's, it's cool. Chill, I don't mind." He said. He really did, but he would never sulk and make his dad feel bad. He hardly ever got to spend time with him, so when he did he wouldn't bitch about where they were going.

Although hardly there anyway, Florence was a great parental figure. He was the main one calling and emailing both Takashi and Laura on a daily basis to ask questions about his college as soon as he hit twelfth grade. Florence was planning on paying for everything. His transportation, tuition, clothes, school books and everything that he needed.

Takashi realized they were on the Belt Parkway headed somewhere and that it would obviously take a while before they got to their destination, so he took out his phone and shot Toryn a text.

Takashi: I miss you Dork.☹️ 1:23PM

Takashi hoped she would text him back right away. He really did miss her, that was another reason why he despised Samir so much. Even though Toryn lived at his house, they hardly saw each other. Most of her time was spent around Samir, only coming back home when it was curfew. Takashi was never against Toryn having a boyfriend, but her man of choice is what Takashi could do without.

"So how is school so far? No more fighting right?"

"That was like three years ago, Pop's. And nah I haven't gotten into a fight since then." He said truthfully. He definitely wouldn't start now. He wanted to keep his track record clean to have a smooth graduation.

Within thirty more minutes of talking, they had finally pulled up. Suddenly Takashi felt nervous. He could already tell which house they were going to enter since the music was thumping and a couple of guys were hanging out on the lawn. He could even smell charcoal coming through the vents of the car. They must have been barbecuing in the back.

Takashi was grateful he brought his headphones, because he was about to be sitting in the corner chilling all night until it was time to go.

Both men exited the car and Takashi wasted no time quickly finding a song on his iPhone to blast despite the reggae music already blaring from the house. It was a house that definitely stood out with baby blue paint, sitting on top of neatly cut grass with a couple plants sitting in colorful vases on the porch.

Florence and the men on the lawn had small talk. Takashi heard plain as day as one of them asked Florence if 'that was his boy' knowing the guy was asking if he was Florence's son. Takashi knew it was his cue to look up and say hello but he pretended he was buried in his iPod.

Once they entered the house Takashi regretted it immediately. The house was flooded with people. It must have been about six kids he spotted already, most of them seeming to be from the ages of six to ten at least. Almost all of them were running around like dickheads. Too damn big to be acting like that in his opinion. Overdressed females who stood in heels they knew they couldn't walk in and a pound of makeup on their face like they were at the club and not at a family gathering were all around.