8. Things that are unbelievable to humans

Start from the beginning

"Wow, that's a lot"

"Yeah" I smiled

"So, what's the problem? Are all of them coming over? Together?" He was back to his usual self "You know you can't make place for 700 people by kicking out one innocent soul, don't you?"

I rolled my eyes "I'm serious" I sighed "It's about Dan's father" That swiped the grin off his face. He tensed; this was the first time I was talking to him about Liam.

He took my hand "You know you don't have to talk about it"

I nodded "I can't not talk about it now. My family will be asking me questions...." I sighed "Can I just start from the beginning? I don't want to talk in bits and pieces. I need you to understand what I'm about to do from now on. Unless of course if you can try and not show up in this house for a few months, I can manage my own lies then"

"That's not possible. You know that" thought so

I took a deep breath "Dan's father is the leader of my pack"

"What?" he yelled

"Don't interrupt" he nodded "Try to believe what I say even if it sounds like a bad joke to you coz I promise you it's as true as my being alive in this world"

"Remember when you asked me back then why I couldn't love you back when I was surely attracted to you?" his eyes stirred as he recalled, I'm sure he didn't want to be reminded of bad memories. He stilled. I continued when I got no response "you know the saying 'made in heaven' that people use for couples, it's literally that for my group of people. We have just this one person who we are supposed to be with. It's predestined or as we say in our world, it's the moon goddess who decides our mate. So you will hear the word 'mate' a lot from my people." I looked at him to see him listening intently albeit with a frown.

"A mate in common understanding is like yin-yang. You saw how co-ordinated Evan and Emma moved, like they knew what the other was thinking or doing. A mate is like the other half of your soul. The attraction is a hundred times multiple of what normal people feel when they are in love.

We usually recognize our mates when our wolv I mean once we reach maturity and then no matter what you're doing, who you're with, none of those things matter. It's like you were born only to be with them, only to love them, to protect them. It's not something we can control"

I looked up at a noise that escaped his throat; he chuckled with no humor "Is that why you couldn't say you loved me even when you did? This is your excuse? This was what made me sleepless for weeks wondering what was so wrong about me that you couldn't love me back? That you couldn't be with the person you like for a faceless stranger?"

I took a moment to recover "I'm sorry" I whispered "I know I sound like a lunatic to you now but this is how it is. Please listen through it for Dan's sake"

He looked away with a sigh. I took as a sign to continue

"We kind of mature around 16 so it's the time when we meet our mate. But mine came late, 6 years too late" his conversation was bringing back painful memories "I..... I met him at his engagement" I heard a sharp intake of breath "His girlfriend was pregnant. They were to be married in a week. There was no way we could be together" I paused, my next sentence was going to cut through me "He loved her" I wonder why it still hurts as much as it did the first day.

I looked up at Ray and he was staring back "Is he Dan's father?" he asked slowly. I nodded.

"Bastard" Ray was angry

"It wasn't his fault Ray. If anyone is to be blamed, then blame destiny. We both didn't want it. Trust me"

He let out a dry laugh "Are you defending an irresponsible man who let go of one child for another"