Milo

Lucky picked at a scab on her elbow as she listened to the clanging sound of metal outside of her cell. He'd actually turned her in and left her there—in some prison cell on Earth. They'd actually listened to him without any evidence to see and tossed her behind bars in a holding cell. Of course, he was Helix. He probably just looked at them funny, and they got scared.

"Dumbass," she mumbled to herself, but her eyes betrayed her. A tear slipped down her cheek anyway. Angry tears were the worst. She wouldn't look at anyone else in the holding cell. She just stared at her feet and picked at the scab. So, this was how her life turned out, huh? She'd killed a man. She'd ran away from King. She was alone, gone, and lost—it was what she really deserved. She couldn't deny that.

Across the hall, a girl was crying on the phone. She squeezed it in her hand until her knuckles were white. She bit her lip, crossed her arms, and twisted back and forth as the tears fell to her chin.

"I didn't, Mom!" she yelped and gestured with hands her mother couldn't see. "Mom, I swear it. Please! Mom, mom, listen. Mom!"

Lucky squinted her eyes shut as tightly as they'd go. She clenched them until all of the light died away, and it was just her and the darkness. Mom: the word made her sick, and she just wanted to be alone.

"What's wrong?" a voice hummed from outside the cell.

Lucky lifted her head and saw a man staring down at her from the free world. He stood on the side of the cell and squatted down next to her with a smile.

"You shouldn't cry like that," the man said.

"Thanks, but can you leave me alone?" Lucky asked with just a hint of guilt flushing across her cheeks.

"Hmm," he paused, "You'll do."

Lucky really looked at him this time. His bright brown hair lay slicked back on his tanned head, brown eyes stared back at her, and he was in some sort of uniform—some sort of military uniform. He was smiling at her, and it was starting to make her flinch.

"I'll do for what?" she asked.

"For me," he said, stood, and walked over to the front desk.

"The hell?" Lucky mumbled. She searched the room around her for any other eyes, but no one would look back at her. They were all lost in their own thoughts. She watched the man come back with another officer.

"C'mon," the guard said as the door swung open, and he motioned for her to walk out.

"I-I don't know him," Lucky stammered.

"Well he bailed you out," the guard said. "Might want to get to know him."

She looked up at the strange man in uniform and frowned. She wanted to get out of there, so she took the chance and just started walking out. She knew he was following.

"Look," she whirled as soon as they stepped out of the doors and into the night air, "you can't just lay claim to someone like that."

"I just did," the man said.

"Excuse me?" Lucky half-yelled.

"So, what's your name? Wait, no, let me guess. Eva?"

"Eva?" Lucky tilted her head to the side in disbelief.

"Well, give me a hint," he said.

"A hint?"

"Oh, I know," the man smiled. "You don't have very good luck. It's Lucky isn't it?"

"Who are you?" Lucky winced as she grabbed the sides of her arms.

"I'll give you a hint," he smiled, "but I can't tell you my last name. That's the number one rule with strangers. Okay, so, it starts with M."