It Should Have Been a Sin

"Luuuuuucccckkkkkkyyyyyyy," Sarah's voice rang out through the field. She hopped through the grass that was almost as tall as she was. She ran past King on his way back and held her arms out as she ran straight for the forgotten princess. "Come here!"

Lucky turned around to see the little girl barreling right towards her. She stepped to the side to give Sarah enough room to skid to a halt. She panted, and her baby-doll eyes reflected the sun in the sky when she looked up.

"Hey, Sarah," Lucky said.

"Little Empress," Sarah corrected as she huffed. "Anyway, I did what King asked. I followed orders. I told him I could. I listened to everything the Holy Knight said, and I know about your memory!"

Lucky sort of listened to her. She brought her eyes back from King's retreating shadow to Sarah's jumping one. Sarah was as wild as they came.

"King's orders?"

"Yes. It's all the Wicked Lord!" Sarah blurted, fell to the ground, pulled off her shoes, and stared up at her from the grass. "Someone sealed your memory when the Emperor was alive."

"Zee?" Lucky asked.

"No," she panted, and her voice finally started to even out. "No, but he talked about it. The Holy Knight said that he was trying to figure it out, but then you ran away to Earth."

"The holy knight?" Lucky asked and decided to sit down beside her.

"You know, my sister," she said.

"Bella...," Lucky whispered.

"If the Wicked Lord didn't take your memory, who did?" Sarah asked as she pulled some grass into her hands and plucked it from the dirt—roots and all.

"Why would anyone take my memory?"

"People apparently do that when you know too much," Sarah said. "Or, they put you in jail."

Lucky fell back onto the grass with her, and they both stared up at the sky—still oblivious to the watching eyes in the distance.

"I don't know," Lucky said and pulled on the grass herself, "but I'm going to get it back."

"Let's go tell King," Sarah said and jumped back to her feet.

Lucky laid on the ground, hidden in the grass, staring up at the blue mountain. It was almost the color of his eyes—like glassy, thick ice. She wished she could be as open around him as Sarah was. Somewhere inside of him, he was a killer, but somewhere else, he was good.

"Oh my Gawd," Sarah groaned as she tugged on Lucky's arm, "get up! Let's go!"

Lucky smiled up at the little girl. She was pretty and brave. She was focused and determined. She was everything Lucky wasn't. Maybe, Lucky could take a page from her and learn a bit.

"Okay," Lucky said, and she let Sarah help her up.

They walked back to the house. Sarah ran ahead, arms flying, like a tidal wave. Lucky walked slowly behind her, tripping over grass, and staring at the sky. Behind them, the shadow moved from tree-to-tree. It watched the two girls until they'd gone inside. Only then, did it leave.

Inside, Bella sat at the table. Felix dug in the fridge. Sarah busted into the dim house like a grizzly bear. She ran up to her little family and grabbed Felix around the leg.

"Guess what!" she smirked. "Lucky is going to get her memory back."

Bella looked up at Lucky. She sat her glass down and patted the chair next to her. The kitchen was small, and the house wasn't even theirs, but Bella looked right at home in it.