Bella and King

Bella stared at King, and King stared at Bella. The moonlight above the throne was turning into a peachy dawn, and they still hadn't slept. King knew it was harder for her than it was for him, but even immortals liked to sleep. All of the nights keeping a wide eye were starting to wear on him.

"We can't handle this without you, King," Bella sighed. "I don't...know what to do this time."

"You'll figure it out," King said. "Just channel that resourceful, flexible Bella that I used to know."

"She's dead," Bella spat. "You don't get it, King. He's the one thing I can't do. He's the one thing I've never been able to face."

"I get it," King sighed, and he very much did. In his mind, he could see his own father. He knew what it was like to have someone higher up that scared the living hell out of you. "We have to."

"I can't," Bella snapped, "and I won't."

"Not even for Sarah?" King asked.

"No, not even for Sarah. No one gets it. You don't know what he's like. He's evil."

"If anyone gets it, I do," King sighed.

Bella stared at the clean carpet on which they sat—crosslegged and weary. She would have never thought in a million years that she would be somebody—that she would be sitting so carelessly on the palace's throne room floor like she owned the place. Everyone thought she was so brave, but she wasn't. She would never be brave enough to face him—not even for Sarah.

"What do I do?" she cried. Tears fell from her dark eyes and down her cheeks. It caught King off guard, but he didn't speak right away. He didn't want to leave. He didn't want to leave her alone to protect Sarah on her own. The truth was he didn't think she could do it, either. She couldn't do it like that, but he also knew Sean very well.

"I don't know what you do," he finally said, "but I know what I have to do. I have to go after Sean this time, Bella. He'll rain hell down on this world if I don't. Especially when he finds out his people both failed him."

"Failed?" Bella choked. "He cursed my little sister. How is that failing?"

King didn't answer her. She was right, but he couldn't help but think Helix had motivations of his own. Immortals were fickle beings—no one was ever that loyal.

"King?" Bella prompted.

"Sorry, Bella," he winced. "I'm going back to Earth."

"How?" Bella yelped. "We closed the portals."

"If you closed the portals then how did your father get here? I felt them open."

"Don't call him that," Bella groaned. "He is not my father any more."

"Fair enough," King sighed. "Anyway, I'm going back, and I want you to promise me something."

"No," Bella said, and her curls bounced as her head shook from side to side.

"Yes," King said. "I need to know Lucky will be safe if I leave her here. I can't lose her again."

"If I can't protect Sarah, King, how am I supposed to protect Lucky? You can't go off every time like this. I'm sick of it. We need you here, damn it. Why is it so important that you go off to find Sean? You just want to have it out with him for turning your sister, don't you?"

"You're off base, Bella," King said, and it was clear in his voice that she'd touched a nerve.

"That's it, isn't it? You're going to go off and leave the kingdom in danger—Sarah, Lucky, everyone—all because you want revenge. Aren't there more important things? Or do we not matter to you? Does Lucky not matter to you?"