Year One: Part 2

They ate lunch together in the back room—food bought from nearby cafés, or lunches packed by Ron and Hermione. For the first few weeks it was something of a novelty, and none of them could keep the smiles off their faces. This was different from seeing each other once a month over dinner, or catching a quick lunch in-between appointments. It had been too long since they'd spent so many consecutive days together and it felt amazing.

It was also, somewhat to their surprise, quite challenging. The shop wasn't a tiny space, but the four of them—Marcus included—were either continually in one another's way, or were collectively neglecting something important. For example, while everyone was in back listening to Marcus explain how inventory worked, they'd missed no fewer than three customers who had come in, wandered about a bit, and left without one word to anyone.

"We should divide stuff up," Harry said over pizza on the second day of business. "It'll make things run more smoothly."

"I could take care of the accounting," Hermione volunteered. "Payroll and inventory counts. Reconciling the accounts."

Harry swallowed the mouthful that he'd been chewing. "We'll need someone to go out to get stuff with Marcus." Pickers, that was what Felix had said when he'd explained about the way things were run; he'd seemed to think it'd be a good idea if the three of them got involved in the process and didn't just rely on Marcus to fix everything. Harry agreed with him.

"Yes," said Hermione. "And someone to stay in the shop and help customers."

"Couldn't we all take turns?" asked Ron. "I'd get tired of traveling everywhere searching for who-knows-what if I had to do it all the time, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in the shop, either."

Harry nodded. "We all have so much to learn, so it would make sense to rotate."

"That would work," Hermione said, acquiring a gleam in her eyes. "I could draw up a schedule for us. I suppose I'll have to teach you both the basics of accounting." A satisfied smile curled her lips.

Ron groaned, meeting Harry's eyes. "That was a bad idea, wasn't it?"

Harry finished the last bit of his pizza and patted Ron on the back. "Don't worry. We'll get the hang of it."

///

It took them a while to find their rhythm, especially with the improbable number of reporters coming by to cover the story of Harry Potter and his friends taking over an antiques shop. Their first few weeks were filled with curious customers who were more interested in catching a glimpse of Harry than they were in magical antiques.

When the buzz finally died down and actual regular customers trickled back in, it was something of a relief, albeit a bit nerve-wracking. Even after months of study, Harry, Ron and Hermione were not yet experts at this.

At least they didn't have to do it all on their own. Hermione was particularly happy to discover that Marcus possessed an advanced Muggle degree in art history as well as an accreditation from the International Society of Appraisers. He also came from a long line of curse-breakers and had grown up around all sorts of magical artifacts. After he graduated from Hogwarts, he'd studied for three years at the Beijing Institute of Ancient Wizardry.

"Frankly, I'm appalled at the pay he's getting," she told Harry and Ron over dinner one night, after Marcus had saved Harry from purchasing a fake Verillia's Virtuous Viewing Vanity from a witch in alluring red robes. Marcus got a handsome raise the next day, and from then on Hermione became his favourite.

///

"Is it safe?" Ginny asked warily as James toddled off on short stubby legs behind one of the shelves.