Julia Gets a Buzzcut....

Start from the beginning

"It's perfect." I tell him, smiling. He returns it and picks a daisy, walking over to me. He brushes some of my hair behind my ear and puts the flower in my hair, holding it back. His eyes sparkle as he looks at me.

"You're beautiful."

I look away, feeling the blush creeping on to my cheeks. He doesn't let me for long. He rests his hands on either side of my face before bringing it to his. He kisses me softly and my heart begins to race. He pulls away quickly though, a look of anger on his face. "We have a lot to talk about though."

"I thought we've been through this." I say.

"Yeah, and I know that I can't be without you, but I also need to know what you're keeping from me."

"Please don't ruin this. This place, you, everything is perfect. Can we just pretend last time didn't happen?" I plead.

"How are you doing this to me?" He asks, looking away. Tears are in the back of my eyes. I could end this bet right now. I could tell him the truth and that I loved him. But I know that even though it sounds easy, it's not. One: I don't want to pay for dinner. Two: If he finds out how I feel, he might hurt me. I need to hear him say the words first.

"Doing what?"

"Making me crazy!" He exclaims.

"You were already crazy!" I protest.

"You're going to regret saying that." He says, mischief twinkling in his eyes.

I laugh. "How-- wait, no. Stop. No! STOP IT, DREW!" I shriek as he runs over and begins tickling me. It gets harder to breathe as he continues to tickle me. I gasp for breath.

"I have one more surprise for you." He says as he stops tickling me.

"What is it?"

"I've decided that you're right. I'm going to forget about the last time because it doesn't matter. All that matters is right here, right now. You and me... Together." He takes my hand in his. I look down at our intertwining fingers and look back to his eyes.

"Okay," I smile.

"Would you like to be my date to the spring dance?" He asks.

I feel my smile widen. "Yes."

Rose.

"So." I say awkwardly, sitting on the swing.

"So?" He mimics me in a questioning way. I don't know what he thinks about this. Probably something along the lines of 'she stopped being my friend for the longest time. What does she want from me now?'

I couldn't blame him. I would feel the same way. "How are you?"

"I'm fine...?" He looks at me with his blue-gray eyes. "How are you?"

"Never better." I lie casually. My hands in my lap indicate differently. I tap my fingers on my legs, clasp them together, and unclasp them again and again. Not that he notices. Not that anyone would notice.

We swing together in silence for a couple minutes. It's not one of those comfortable silences. In fact, it's incredibly awkward for me. I'm not sure how he feels about it until he breaks the thick silence. He found it awkward too. "Okay, I give up. What do you want?" He demands.

I try not to flinch or jump when he speaks. "Do you like her?" I brush a strand of hair behind my ear as I ask him. The question catches him off guard.

"Like who? Are you talking about Julia, because I swear to God--"

"Sh, Aaron. Calm down. I meant Jenna." I cut him off.