Chapter 10👏

Layo's POV

The school decided to give the students the Friday after our inter house sports as a free day. The joyous and ecstatic children lobbied about and enjoyed their free day.

Me, Kunmi, Tolu and Stephanie lay down on the bed, filing our unpainted nails.

The room is usually quiet and we  just lie down there and do our thing. "Tolu please pass me the nail clipper." I asked, in between chewing my nails.

Biting my nails has just been a tradition for me. Although I try to keep it to the confines of the room.

"Obun, Onidoti osi," dirty girl. Stephanie hollered at me, making the other girls in the room to burst into laughter, including Sara and Elizabeth. "How many times have I told you to stop chewing your nails?"
Steph quizzed like a Yoruba mother, asking why the remote control is at the back of the pillow.

"Free her now, abi can't the goat feed peacefully again? Abegi Layo chop am well well." eat it well.
Mayowa a butt kisser in the commercial class added,  making Sara and Eli burst into laughter.

Kunmi shot me a glance, to mentally ask me what aunty Mayowa  was doing in our room anyways. She does not belong here but just tries to talk at every chance she gets. The way Kunmi dropped her nail clipper, it was evident that she's about to drop something light.

"You remind me of Nigerian coin," Kunmi began as she stands up from her bed and moves to Sara's bed where Mayowa is sitting. Mayowa thinking the she has some advantage due to her comeback, stands up and faces her squarely. "Worthless and two faced. Does your ass ever get tired of the shit that comes out of your mouth?" Kunmi questioned rhetorically.

"Hey nobody put your mouth." Elizabeth interferes. "Aunty better shut up, you on your own, you're an apology from the condom factory."

Something just came over me and I burst into laughter. On impulse, I quickly cover my mouth as if that action will take away what I just said. In this room ehn, one does not just open mouth and join the tongue war. Although for some people like Kums, it's a natural gift.

I can remember when she first came to our school in ss1, I was skeptical about accepting her into our group because she always had her nose up in the air and never talked to anyone. Like typical Nigerian students, the rumour flew across ss1 that the new girl in doing boss because she came from London. But after one good comeback, the girls agreed she's just what we need. I can remember her saying 'your teeth are so yellow, traffic slows down when you smile.'
To a boy that was grinning at her.

"Was this one laughing about, na your type?"  See what I was thinking? Sara started, ready to lash me because she knows that I'm not one to talk or involve myself in such.

I just stare at her, so unsure of what to say. I mean, who wants to start a war that you know you can't even survive the battle. I look around the room and I feel slightly hurt. We're supposed to be roomies, not a bunch of lions fighting to see the dominant male.

I guess that's all in my side because my 'teemates' on the left side, mentally begged me to talk if not, I'd plunge the whole team down the pacific ocean with me.

I begun to think of a battle plan, a strategy as the six pair of eyes stared at me in anticipation. I could seriously feel the tension in the air, the rapid breathing of Kunmi telling me to open my speech hole.

Maybe I should abuse her breast. I know I'm not the only one that wonders how girls with zero or tiny boobs in Jss3 and Ss1 magically become a D-cup in Ss2. There is God oh, we that have had since Jss2, are still praying to God to fill the space in our bra's.

Five seconds.

Ten seconds.

Fifteen seconds.

No idea what to do. Alert alert, kunmi's going on overdrive. Her pupils dilated quickly as the glanced back and fort, constantly straightening her blue check gown that's getting in between her legs.

"See she cannot-"

"Yes!" I scream out loud, pumping my fists into the air. That little action made them all stare at me like I just busted out from the mental hospital.

I opened my mouth to talk when the head girl entered the room. "All of you come downstairs, emergency assembly." She quickly said and vanished just as fast.

Sometimes I wonder if all head girls are like that. Of medium height, flat both front and back and usually wears glasses. I don't know if it's me, but I think anybody that wears glasses is smart.

Just like how all principal's wear glasses.

It's like coke without gala.

*****

"I wonder what the emergency meeting is all about." Kunmi said as we trooped into the hall.

"Maybe someone is dead." I say playfully and we all burst into laughter, except Tolu of course.

Strap your seatbelt ladies and gentlemen and sit tight because we're about to go down holy lane.

"You guys now," Tolu begins her sermon. "God does not appreciate you talking so horribly about life's. He gave us that as a gift and we have no right to make stupid comments about it." She pushes her hair to the back of her ears and uses her plastic fan to blow some air  to her face.

This Nigerian sun sef, very soon we will all turn to human suya. Maybe they will sell us at the University of Suya.

"Abeg aunty, spare us another one of your church sermon, if you want to take over from pastor Williams, go and put your application there and not here." Steph just did something we've all been scared to do. She pulls Kunmi along with her, knowing I would be torn between the two and walks purposefully to the hall.

Yay, I'm with sister Theresa.

We all walk into the hall and get seated. The dooms day team have already assembled themselves on the stage. The two principal's, old dirty Okafor and the agric teacher that works like someone that has an enlarged scrotum.

Unlike the first time we had an emergency meeting, the boys were on one side, and the girls on the other but this time, the both genders were mixed,  chattering about the emergency assembly that was called.

"All of you never cease to amaze, one-"

"Mrs Okafor please sit down. It's up to the principal's to announce the issue at hand."

Yepa!

The whole hall bursts into laughter, including the teachers not on the high table.

The two principal's start their speech and Mrs Remi starts first.
"Kids, I'll like to get straight to the point because this situation is just so appalling. I mean how can Oh my goodness-" Looks like this situation is really horrible because our principal has never looked so restless before.

Mr Obase, the second principal resumed the speech. "Miss Tobiloba Anuoluwapo Ajayi has just been found dead in the old security house. And tests carried out shows that it was through a sexual crime, and by no  one but different perpetrators."

A/N
here you go guys, tysm for reading. This book is at 3.98k reads and I hope it hits 4k by tomorrow.

Also people, we hit second place in the recently conducted awards by @AfricanLiterature. Thanks to everyone that believed in me:)